What’s up with hinges breaking

why would removing struts be detrimental?

I bet they could curve one side to fit the steel tube pretty easily.

The ‘standard’ ones are now available at McMaster Carr.

2 Likes

Your panels won’t stay open.

1 Like

I took Taylor’s comment to mean there’s no reason to remove the struts on yours, since it shouldn’t experience a hinge failure.

1 Like

Not really, but if you send am email over to support@gfcengineering.com we can do some sleuthing.

Removing your struts would not be directly detrimental, but would unnecessarily impede the functionality of your panels. @han and @mode7 are correct. Your panels wouldn’t stay open, and there’s really no need to make any alterations to the way your camper works since your camper will likely perform as it was intended without fail.

I fuckin feel you @mattyd, I’m sorry man. I can still feel the feelings I’ve felt the three times my hinges have broken.

I have build #44, the first to have a hinge break. It sucked, the following months of other chiming in sucked, and then it sucked again when it happened, and then a third time.

I’ve since had the “full overhaul”, which included the crown seal removed and that liquid seal put on instead. Hinges seem fine, I’m ridiculously more careful with them now and I know they’ll break again someday.

Thankfully I have massive leaks now that I finally got the camper back. Whatever process was applied to my GFC, all the bolt heads continuously drip rusty water at the slightest rain. My space frame must be filled with water by now, might have to put a tap in and use it as my water reserve. And yes I’ve emailed and gotten the standard COVID19 response.

But at least my hinges are good, for now haha

4 Likes

I remember when the first broken hinge was posted hoping it wasn’t the start of a trend.

I just looked up the date of your first failure report on TW. I can’t believe it has been over a year and this is still a relevant topic.

Do you know how many campers have had a broken hinge?

Water accumulating inside the space frame is my biggest concern as I live in a very humid/wet environment. Rusty leaking water from the bolts heads… yea, not cool. Don’t you live in California? I would think humidity and such wouldn’t be an issue for you.

2 Likes

GFC might know the exact number. Just based on memory and a quick look through posts here on this thread failures include:

Myself
Mac_2_nite
Pilosopo
Slowboater
mattyd
ETALATE
goinguphigh
Smelly621
ace7196
Prbixby1
glachow
quadabaum
crumb
socalktk

This list is not meant to be definitive. I might have missed some or counted people that didn’t have a failure.

This does not include reports on TW. Some were likely double reported there and here, but there are likely some unique reports there as well. This does not include those who might have had a failure and did not report it on a forum.

3 Likes

Yes, SoCal and it’s mostly from rain. I don’t suspect my living near the beach should add to any humidity concerns.

While parked in my driveway, I have whichever set of bolts is lowest dripping the water. Space frame all around them is dry, and when I pulled the bolts (as I was directed to) about a cup of rusty water came out.

Got it back on my truck in February, have drained it every couple of weeks since it was raining. Need to test my MSR filter to see if this rusty water is usable haha

1 Like

I have at least one leaky bolt also. It’s infuriating. @GFC_Mike @GFC_Taylor what’s the fix for this?

2 Likes

@Mac_2_nite @SagWagon @anon72572904 I’m gonna address all of y’all in this post.

First, if you haven’t already, please email support@gfcengineering.com. This helps us keep things organized and is the fastest way to get things sorted out.

If your bolts are dripping water, that does not mean your space frame is filled with water. Those threads are isolated from the rest of your frame.

Our assembly team seals these threads, but if your bolts are showing signs that they need to be resealed, here’s what we recommend using to reseal your threads. Before doing this, it’s important to email us so we can give you instructions on this process to ensure your bolts are reinstalled properly.

2 Likes

My unit had the total refurbishing including the new mattress, tent material and the new hinge sealing.
The original hinges never failed but GFC decided to upgrade them anyway. I’ve always been skeptical of the hinge design but GFC treated me well with the upgrade. Time will tell if the new hinging system will last. One of these days I’m going to figure out a DIY retrofit solution using add on auxiliary hinges attached to the extrusion.
Borrego T, please take my name off the failure list.

6 Likes

Nope. I’m anal about it and mine broke.

Thanks for listing. I’m Unit# 156. I thought I read that GFC changed to liquid seal/design in low 100’s. I’m wondering what the unit #’s are on your list? Thanks again✌️

1 Like

Can you confirm you had the new liquid sealant? You should be able to look closely and can see a foam bad or goop.

Also, how often did yo house your camper?

The black sealant looks liquid. You can see the application streaks like a liquid caulk would leave. I use my camper every other weekend just about. It was barely used when I purchased and I have 6 trips in it since January for an estimated total of 8-10 trips in it before hinges broke.

I have to say after contacting GFC, they responded immediately and I am on schedule for their PIT crew to come and repair once Covid restrictions are lifted. As long as the repair happens in a reasonable time and the fix works long term I will remain a proud owner. I’ll keep posting to this thread to update.

Does anyone have a photo of the “crown molding” that keeps being pointed to as part of the design problem. I might have the liquid sealant but still have the crown molding. This wAs GFC’s response.

1 Like