What’s up with hinges breaking

Oops. Yeah, hinges at 180°, doors at 90°. Do you have a link to the struts you used?

these are less forceful

1 Like

This is great. This is why I picked GFC over other brands. I have a friend who has owned two and has spoken very highly of GFC. My camper is a ways off but looking forward to getting it. Appreciate the hard work that goes into them.

2 Likes

Pretty stoked on all the changes coming through the pipeline. Way more stoked to get you guys all taken care of. We will post something more concrete when we can but we won’t go into details until I have had time work with our engineers on getting it just right. Pumped to start the process of getting you all back to 100% in August! :muscle:

5 Likes

I cant share too much yet, as we are actually working on some patent applications in addition to testing. That is part of the reason why we haven’t been able to post more updates than we have, so I appreciate y’alls understanding.

I will answer these questions as best as I can currently without giving away info that needs to stay under wraps until we can officially announce.

1. This is more than new material, its an entirely different mechanism utilizing a material we have a ton of experience using. I wish I could go into more detail here, but it will be apparent soon.

2. We have been testing for the last few months and have a high degree of confidence based on those results. Again, this new application of material is inherently different than a living hinge, so durability/longevity of this new concept is much different than strengthening existing designs.

3. That should be viable, but ideally, we can actually install it for you. Especially proactively for those who have the crown seal in place.

4. We hope to be able to do this as much as possible. Still need to finalize details.

5. It’s tough without some sort of ultrasonic tools as these inconsistencies could be internal to the material and not apparent on visual inspection.

-g

6 Likes

You guys are good!

We want y’all to be passionate about the products we come out with, it shows you care. We should always have a good answer to give whenever you have questions. Thats the reason we have created such a culture of accountability, and have worked so hard to be more available for you on the customer service end.

BTW, I want to make special mention that Taylor (who posts a lot more often than me here) usually gets his information directly from Wiley or myself. It’s basically just him and little mike that are responding to every general customer service/sales inquiry, and he really is doing an amazing job of managing a huge project. He works his ass off to maintain reply times that are typically within a couple hours of an email inquiry, and is currently working to build out our phone program (which we secretly just added to the site) to solve the problem of you guys not being able to hop on a call with us with questions.

Currently email is still our best form of communication, but know that we are working on always being more available for anyone wanting to reach out.

Just wanted to include that while we are on the topic of customer experience.

Regarding 4th gen, if you are referring to the bronco renders the other day, more will be revealed Monday. This is more than just fabric, its actually a completely different thing. And for those of you wondering, this design of the single sided giant window is actually cheaper to manufacture and not a better design than the current platform iteration of tent design.

Those small front windows are optimal for promoting air flow as it creates a pressure differential that promotes any airflow within the space. When you open up all the sides (or even both of the new side doors on the platform tent, both windows and the back door) it is a very poor airflow solution and the breezeway concept is lost.

-g

6 Likes

Will campers that currently have a failed hinge or temporary hinge be first in line for the new hinge design?

Anyone affected will be a priority, we will be only able to drive to one location at a time and need to batch repairs to minimize our travel costs, but we will also make our Bozeman location available to those who are able to make the trip.

6 Likes

Graeme and all of GFC, thanks for reaching out and keeping us informed. As you can see, I don’t have my camper yet, but seriously looking forward to my install. I made my final decision to go with Go Fast Campers because of customer service, and I have yet to be disappointed. Thank you.

3 Likes

Any idea when the new hinge will intercept current production? I’m #904 so hopefully soon?

I want to give props to Taylor and ‘little’ Mike for you as well. I can’t tell you how awesome these guys have been. I’m torqued that my hinges are falling off but you guys - and especially Mike in sales has been an absolute gem.

4 Likes

I am #800 and wish I could push mine back to the new design knowing it will be even better than the current Gen.

Cool, it would be great to have faith in the product we invested in again, especially the first group that bought without ever seeing.

I love that I can go from being that guy with lumber sticking out the back one weekend to the guy camping out of the truck the next. I hate worrying about the hinges, I feel the same pain every time I see another one split just like when the three of mine have. Luckily all of my failures were at home, but I’ll be for sure taking some gorilla tape with me on every trip until the new hinges get around.

I know you all are putting in hard work, and I know just how much a small business with new ideas taxes the owners (and their families). Good on ya for coming up with something new, can’t wait to see them on my own GFC as well as others.

4 Likes

Your camper is obviously going to be ready soon…there are a lot of people who are dying to have one right now…have you thought about posting to trade someone who has a later number? It may be worth it depending on what vehicle you’re putting it on. Just a thought. Either way I think you’re going to be good.

@Trouttaco - The temp fix is a new strip of hinge and the rivets.
I’ll be tearing into the camper today.

1 Like

@GFC, @MechEMike, @WileyDavis THE GFC Team,
Thank you for the update and stoked to hear from you all.
This is exactly why I went with your product! You guys have always been responsive and my family and I have had so many killer adventures in the GFC. Most of all when we post up at our local surf spot and pop the top to chill and take post surf session naps it feels like home.
Blowing out a hinge is a bummer and I’ll post back my experience in doing the temp fix but I already feel good knowing the team at GCF has my/our backs and we’ll get years of enjoyment out of our investment.

Good on ya!

2 Likes

@Seekoutbeauty - Super helpful video, thank you!
Just wrapped up my temp fix which took about an hour and 3 beers!

Now off to HoodRiver for some kite time while the waves are flat here at home.

Cheers

3 Likes

Stoked for you. Glad it helped out get out.

Nah, I am happy with my purchase. I get the double doors for the price of one. I’ll be glad towards the end of April to make the trip from NC to MT.

1 Like

You can push it back. I put a hold on my GFC #445 because I knew I wouldn’t be able to pick it up when I wanted in February. Just got it 3 weeks ago and glad I waited…now I have 2 side doors and the new hinge design!

1 Like