What’s up with hinges breaking

Kind of a moot point now, with GFC’s updated hinge coming out, but this monroe hinge is not exactly the same as the one GFC was using. It’s got a little wider hinge point with a double bevel/hinge. Not very confident in it, but as long as it gets me through to the PIT I’ll be happy.

1 Like

Team GFC may respond, but my guess is that if they’re close to releasing a new hinge system, they may have already picked a point in production to halt assembly with the old system to prevent future problems.

I doubt many people would be put off by a small delay at this point if it means getting their camper with the new hinge system from the start.

1 Like

This PITA better happen soon. My hinge had a few inches of split - and it pretty much exploded today.

So - I threw on a hinge from the hardware store. Even shimming it up I couldn’t get it perfect and it flexes the existing plastic hinge too much. Enough that I broke the hinge in another place.

Frick.

I have the spare rear hinge. Guess I’ll be replacing it after all - since I can’t get the support hinge system to work properly.

What a frikkin waste of time today.

4 Likes

I feel your pain, like many others. I’m glad yours happened close enough to a hardware store for you to at least try the patch hinge out though. Good luck with the replacement, reach out if you need help with it.

Fingers crossed for this secret squirrel hinge coming up.

3 Likes

I was in Montana last week and stopped at gofast. Had a good conversation with Graeme and Big Mike about hinges. Specifically the new hinge design they’re looking to move towards I am confident with the current design but I believe they are moving to something that is really exciting. Good stuff coming for sure. I’ll just leave it at that.
I was speaking to Mike about the PIT and he said it was his plan to hit the road in August sometime. Not sure when because they are still working out some stuff. The only thing I see stopping or postponing this tour is the pandemic and another stay at home/stay out of our state order.

7 Likes

Nice to hear there will be a lifetime warranty on those hinges, that should make everyone a bit more comfortable. Also glad that they are moving away from the living hinge! I may have to order up another camper then, unless for some reason this next hinge is fabric… :thinking:

Nonetheless, finally some positive movement in this area. I’m glad I raised a stink to help the cause!

2 Likes

I have had no issues with the hinges, but we will all be able to “grow” into their new updates as time goes on right? For example, switch out struts, hinges, add on new features, etc.

Hopefully if so, most are DIY at home vs having to have them install.

Anyone know this?

New hinges being planned is a step in the right direction.

We have heard it before, but hopefully this time is different due to a material change, not just a process change.

1 Like

From the little I know the new hinge is completely different. This is not like before. I feel confident in my current design but it’s nice to see them always trying to improve.

2 Likes

Wasn’t there supposed to be an update about the new hinges from GFC yesterday?

@crazyfingers when we get the new materials in and confirm fitment, we will post updates. We’re doing our best to remain transparent and keep y’all informed.

3 Likes

@crazyfingers, from what he said above it sounds like new hinge material is arriving this week. The announcement that was for Monday yesterday was about the new rtt. If they get the new hinge material in this week they will be able to start working with it
and then use it for the PIT come this August if everything goes according to plan.

1 Like

Great to hear thanks for the update appreciate it!

That’s the right way to do it!

Just got my GFC installed right before the C19 shutdown in MT and ID and have only spent a half dozen nights in it so far but it is better than I pictured it would be.

There are so many re labeled and poorly built things in the modern world and the GFC is really a unique product that is actually made almost entirely in house by people who are not just slamming things out the door but built by craftsman. The quality comes through in everything that you see and touch. Best of all, it makes the pickup a more useful pickup, even if you aren’t camping.

After using your product for a short time I am a huge fan of what you do out of your Montana factory. Keep up the good work and thanks for standing behind your product and taking care of your early adopter customers.

10 Likes

Greetings GFC folks:
I’m a GFC newbie having just picked up my #638 camper about 6 weeks ago in Belgrade so sorry if my questions are too basic or have been answered elsewhere:

1. How can I tell if my camper has a hinge of the typed that has been prone to failure?
  2. If it is the type prone to failure, will the GFC PIT tour replace hinges proactively before they begin to fail?
  3. If so, do I need to contact GFC to make a replacement reservation?
    Thanks!
    KP2 in SLC
1 Like

Hey KP2,

Your camper was produced long after the issues we are addressing. As addressed int he above posts the first 150 or so were affected with a range of campers just after that having the possibility of the issue. Your camper being in the 600’s will not have the same issue with the old foam seal as you have the black terason sealant.

The PIT will address those in the first 150 with the old seal and any outliers who have already been affected by this issue. A solution for the remaining campers who have not been affected will come out after we have accomplished this.

If you have any more in depth questions or concerns you are more than welcome to contact us and get put on the PIT to meet up when we are in your area to address them!

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt and satisfactory reply, BigMike! Since I’m really digging the flip-up flaps I’m glad to hear that mine should be reliable. If there’s a PIT stop planned for the Salt Lake City area please let me know. I’d like to chat about GFC stuff and see some other rigs.

Cheers! KP2

1 Like

No problem at all. You can shoot me an email to mike@gfcengineering.com and I will get your information so I can keep you posted!

Dont have my camper yet, but my build is coming up real soon. I wanted to know if you guys were going to be on the East Coast around the Virginia, Washington DC, Maryland area? If so I would love to show you guys some Maryland love by bring you some of MDs finest crab cakes for lunch or dinner on me.

1 Like

I will definitely be hitting the East Coast in a broad swoop (NY, MA, NJ, VA, MD, NC, SC, GA). Shoot me an email and I would be happy to add you to the PIT list.