What’s up with hinges breaking

I want crab cakes. -

6 Likes

Has there been any word on the new hinge design (with new materials) that was in the works?

1 Like

Just that we have tested it and are working on patents for the design! Thats about all we can release at this time.

4 Likes

Ah, the early days.

4 Likes

Good news from the P.I.T. thread.

3 Likes

Another one bites the dust. Camper #217. About 14 months in the wild. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Bummer. Sorry. The only up side is you’ll have the new technology hinges when its replaced. Doesn’t help in the short term, though…

Peace.

Inching closer to my 296. Yikes

3 Likes

Ouch. That hurts to look at.

I’m looking forward to that for sure. Although my camper was already delayed during production because I was getting the latest and greatest hinge design that wasn’t supposed to fail so that erodes my trust in gfc and confidence in the product a bit. Hopefully the new hinges will get it back.

1 Like

Just curious, is anyone keeping a master list of all the camper numbers that have reported a broken hinge?

Just saw another one on Facebook that broke. It was built 234. I thought the bad ones were before 150. And I do believe this is the third one over 220!!!

1 Like

I’m sure @GFC_Taylor or @Mike_GFCUSA have one.

Seeing such a small company working hard to address this problem, especially during the fallout from C19, is encouraging. I have confidence that they’ll turn the corner on the hinge problem with the new design, and I know everyone wants to see what they developed. Crafty folks have been the core of the company from the start, and even with this stumble, I expect a bright future for GFC as they continue to navigate tariffs, production delays, and viral attacks. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I’m really looking forward to putting these days behind me with the PIT and new hinge design.
Hurts so much because the panels are access, security, waterproofing, and shade structure all in one.
Thanks for allowing for a forum so that owners can share their experiences and connect with your team.

For the archive, I am the 2nd owner on build #78. Purchased 12/13/19. Used actively since for camping, construction and a shaded apartment for my dog while riding dirt bikes.

• Rear hinge failure 2/26/20 at 4 am in Warner Valley, UT - 35 degrees
  • Passenger side hinge failure 6/28/20 at 12:30 pm in Eden, UT - 90 degrees
  • Driver side hinge cracked 7/5/20 and bandaged with duct tape in Whitefish, MT - 80 degrees

3 Likes

Quick fix with some door hinges i bought at an ace hardware recommended by some previous posts & the gfc guys.

I leave the struts unattached to the panel though - if they are permanently attached, the corners of the panel bow out a little more than I would like when in the up position and i dont want to damage the panel.

5 Likes

All I gotta say is this better be good. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

cardboard, stapler and staple remover. makes backcountry repairs a breeze! :wink:

Ha! LoL. I have to agree.

Peace.

I just want to point out that it looks like I may have been on the right track exploring the ‘hurricane hinge’ idea. Geared hinges sound cool but I don’t know how robust they are - and they’re really expensive.

If I’m right - I just want to be the first camper repaired…:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Detectives at work !!