What’s up with hinges breaking

True. But then there’s this:

"And one more thing: as of today, all of the existing and current polyolefin production hinges will be backed by a lifetime warranty. That way, you know we’ll never leave you hanging, whether you got your camper new or picked it up secondhand.

-Graeme"

The polyolefin hinges may not last forever, but Graeme’s word is as good as I can expect from any company. Whenever one of the old hinges fails, I think we’re in good shape.

5 Likes

Lest anyone thinks I’m swooning over Graeme because he once bought me a Coke, it’s time to point out the thread turned one year old this week. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The fact that many hinges have failed creates anxiety for everyone. The hinges must be fail safe to alleviate this anxiety. We should not have to live with this anxiety short or long term. What if a hinge fails on the highway and the wind catches it and tears it off at high speed. Large manufactures couldn’t handle the liability issues. Not only the potential for damage or injury to vehicles behind you but damage to your own vehicle from the door swinging around denting and scratching your truck.

8 Likes

I’m holding out hope that there will be a repair kit available for customers to change over to Wonder Hinge on their own. I know some people won’t be happy with that, but having options will help flatten the PIT curve.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to be argumentative but not EVERYONE has anxiety over this. At least not myself. I do have concerns just not anxiety. I do however respect your opinion and concerns.

2 Likes

OK, I can live with that. I’m not a lawyer so my language wasn’t precise enough for you. Instead of saying everyone, I should have said “many”. If that isn’t precise enough, maybe a poll should be taken.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

So after working all night, I loaded up my truck to work all morning, and as I closed the rear door …

Well, you all know the rest of the story. I’ll be making the drive to Bozeman sooner than later. Maybe Wiley can put me on some trails for my motorbike.

4 Likes

Damn sorry to hear that!! What was your build #

Build 50-70, somewhere in there. I knew it was only a matter of time once I found this thread and made a close inspection. The rear was used the most, so it was the first to go. I back a trailer often enough that I’ll leave it removed until the drive to the Land of Invulnerable Hinges.

3 Likes

Sorry Han! The only good thing is that we ‘old timers’ still wave the flag despite the issues…

5 Likes

Thanks. If it weren’t for the imminent release of the One Hinge to rule them all, I’d figure something else out and not fret.

If it ends up being a geared hinge, that looks plenty stout to me. My main concern would be with ice or other debris fouling it, but maybe that’s not an issue with them. I’ve only seen a few on commercial doors, and they worked well.

3 Likes

I wonder if a hinge like this could be used? Maybe several along the top (2-4)? https://www.septomax.com/de/mehrgelenkscharniere/standard-scharniere/

I’ll take anything over my current duct tape set up. But, those look complicated. I’m hoping for simple…

1 Like

YESS!!! Me too! Cabana mode & easy set up/break down were what pushed me to go from a RRT to the GFC. BTW, don’t your knees kill you on that ribbed bed surface w/o a bed mat??

Awesome! Not quite sure the hinges breaking thread is the right place for this.

3 Likes

Great to hear Taylor. Beginning to stress when leaving for trips with no confidence in my other panels holding. Please give an update on the projected August PIT schedule.

Looks like Mike is on vacation till the 17th from his email autoresponder.
@GFC_Taylor can we expect a PIT/hinge update next Monday? Thanks.

2 Likes

Keep your eyes on the Whats up with new hinges thread tomorrow morning. :eyes:

11 Likes

I hope you weren’t basing “morning” on my schedule.
I expect great news when I get up. Goodnight!

1 Like

:eyes::eyes::eyes:

8 Likes