Width of beef bars

Just got all my pieces from Tnutz, Gzila and 80/20. Total for everything was not bad. Think it was around $180 for 3 T bars, 6 brackets and T nuts. The one thing you’ll have to do is use a flat bottomed metal bit so the t nuts sit flush in the brackets. At least with the pieces I got.

2 Likes

I used a standard 1/2” metal drill bit. You don’t need to drill as far into the metal as you might initially think. Test a track nut for depth periodically as you drill (widen) your first hole and you’ll see what I mean. :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree the black washers would probably look better. I was actually thinking about maybe using black nylon washers to cut down on potential vibrations, but I am probably overthinking it and will just go with something like what you suggested.

I appreciate it. Thanks for the information in this thread.

Has anyone used the diy bars to haul anything that weighs over 150lbs? Have to deliver a massive kayak about 600 miles in a month or so and was wondering if I should just go DIY or buy the actual Beef Racks

I’ve hauled several pounds of lumber on mine. No issues

I can get super strong 1.77" x 3.54" aluminum extrusion with the added strength of a round core and can get cut precisely to 53". Same two T-slots top and bottom as well as the sides. Can accept up to a M8 bolt using positioning nuts that can be inserted at any time when the rack is in place. Only comes in silver anodized but it is beautiful…would look great with black towers. Check out what we have built with this stuff: www.Van-Mod.net.

I’ve got a Revel too and have seen your products over on one of the FB groups. You do beautiful work! I didn’t realize that the extension t-slots were the same as GFC. Where do we source your t-nuts from?
Keith

Hi Keith…thanks for the kind words. I did a galley replacement project for an older Revel and it was a fun design challenge. I doubt the T-nuts I use with my system are the same as what GFC uses, but maybe they are…I haven’t seen any technical drawings for the GFC RTT extrusion. Doing the beef bar crossbeam is easy…as is sourcing a fabbed tower with mounting holes specific to the crossbeam (in my case 45mm on center) horizontally and the GFC T-slots vertically (two pairs of holes). I treat my framing system as a trade secret, but happy to source as needed for clients.

Trade secret? OK…

https://www.minitecframing.com/Products/Aluminum_Profiles/Aluminum_Profile_Catalog_Pages/20.1017_Profile_45x90S.html

1 Like

Tnutz.com also has everything you need to make a solid rack system I bought all of my pieces (4 racks) including hardware for under $200. I have the part numbers if you want them. You can also buy the tnuts hardware from them or even on Amazon. They work with the 80/20 system. Gzila also sells the Tnuts for the gofast at a cheaper price.

2 Likes

hey Jcknapp74 …i would love the part numbers please …im trying to build my own beef bars and need to know how to make that happen and the correct parts to buy …
thanks for any info

Yea no problem. I’ll dig up the receipt and get you all that info. Gzila has all of the t nuts you’ll need. I’ll get the other info for the bars and brackets.

Here you go:

For the 80/20 bars: just make sure you put in the notes you want the 54” pieces cut to 53” and retapped. This size only works for the standard version not the XL. The XL size is larger. There’s an option to put this in the notes. I think they have black too. You’ll have to search.

CROSSBARS:

The brackets you’ll need to get from 80/20 since tnutz no longer sells this style. They also have the option for black or silver.

MOUNTING PLATES:

HARDWARE:
Gzila. Look for the GFC tnuts on the site

thanks again …i m hoping i did everything right but with shipping from tnutz ( 50 bucks in shipping ) im about 225+ all in from Gzilla and 8020. i only ordered 2 bars , 4 transitions plates and the correct amount of tnuts from g zilla…

Hmmm yea I think mine was much less. Shipping was a little less. That’s why I ordered 4 at once. Also the plates I also got from tnutz. Looks like they don’t sell that style anymore. Still $225 is more than what I paid. I guess if you ordered 2 bars with shipping ($50)? that should only be around $96 since the bars are around $22 a piece. Where was the other $130 from?

i ordered the 4 plates which was 90 bucks
then ordered the t nuts …
all adds up i guess…stoked either which way and thanks so much for the guidance…

1 Like

Dam $90? The plates should only be around $36 for 4. That $90 seems too high. Did you get anything else?

they were 15 bucks a piece …plus 20 shipping plus tax

i got the black ones…

Ah gotcha. Yea those are a bit more but still cool. Glad you found all the stuff ok :ok_hand: