Wind Deflector Install

Still collecting data, which is going much slower than normal because my vacations have been delayed and have been working mostly from home. Plus when I do commute it is often on two-wheels in the warmer months. :slight_smile:

So far I am seeing some improvement at speeds above 50 mph or so. Probably 2-3 mpg better than without the windscreen, so regaining much of what was lost. The benefit seems to fade above 75 mph, but that could just be because of wind direction. The economy of the baby diesel is very sensitive to wind and grade.

I will post more after my trip to Idaho and Colorado later this summer.

Just FYI: The upgrade to 32" (from stock 30.5") tires also had a 2-3 mpg impact on fuel economy as well.

1 Like

Verdict: the deflector resulted in a small improvement on fuel economy. I estimate it increased efficiency by 2 mpg on average.

5 Likes

Update: mounting the deflector to the gfc created one super annoying side-effect - the darn thing would squeek annoyingly when the roof got wet.

I also wanted some roof rails to allow carrying long objects when I do not have the GFC installed in the winter. So I purchased some rhino aero racks and was able to mount the fairing right to the cross bar using slightly-modified GFC track nuts.

20210309_161653_crop_388x388

3 Likes

Inspired by this thread I set out to put a snowboard wind deflector on my truck. Its really more for looks and I think it came out pretty well. I found a cool Shawn White 136 burton snowboard at a ski swap in November for $50. I used two big L braces and cut a 1 x 1 punched tube and various bolts, washers, and nylon locking nuts combined with a 45 degree 8020 bracket. https://8020.net/45-4334-black.html and black spray paint.

24 Likes

That’s genius! Nice work.

1 Like

That’s an awesome idea!

Following this thread and see what happens with it.

1 Like

So far the updated install is working great.

5 Likes

Can you show us how you put this together

Brackets and deflector are unchanged from original install.

This pic shows how the deflector is mounted to the Rhino rack:

Is something like this needed on the V2? I see GFC sells a wind skid but its V1 specifically. Its not clear to me what changed between versions which would eliminate the need?

The V1 wind skid don’t do anything in my opinion other than look cool and make bug clean up easier. The V2 is already nice and flat up there.

2 Likes

Quoting the GFC website: “This wind skid is not designed to improve MPG, but reduce wind noise.”

This wind deflector is much larger.

Attached the @jedgar Drip Rail and its almost like they were made to fit and cover up my big ugly L bracket.

11 Likes

Heck yeah man that looks like it works out great. Love the creativity!

1 Like

that is slick. have you had any rubbing on the roof?

None at all, even when doing serious off-road stuff.

Shaun White = king of snowboarders
Shaun White Fairing = king of fairings

sweet!

2 Likes

That’s pretty awesome at 7-10% improvement in fuel economy?! Definitely gonna give this a go. I also have a diesel ZR2, hoping to get back closer to mid/upper 20s again.

Any chance you’re interested in selling a set of those brackets and a wind deflector? I’ve just ordered a set of the rhino rack bars and looking for a way to mount a wind deflector to it.