Windows or no windows?

Another vote for no windows here. Cost, privacy/security, and aesthetics were the main factors for me. Also the panel against the cab of the truck is a super nice place to store stuff that just lives in the truck. For example, I store all my bedding there which would obviously defeat the purpose of a window. @Borrego_Taco hit the nail on the head…

1 Like

Yeah with the cost of them + the cost to tint/cover for security and then them also not being open-able, its kind of stacking the deck towards no windows for me at this point.

I have both windows and like it. I drive mine as a daily and I have a Rigd swingout so the tire rides lower and doesnt obscure my view. Yes if you have the cargo net installed its hard to see out the rear but whatever. I also like having the rear if I am stuck in the bed due to weather. Doesnt feel so claustrophobic

1 Like

Happy to hear your thoughts here. I don’t have my GFC yet but I went with both windows for the same idea and am also getting a spare swing-out. I totally understand the extra cost for some people may not be worth it. With that said, I wanted the camper to be livable since I am in the PNW and it is very wet and dark. Didn’t want it to feel like a cave when it was crappy out and also wanted the ability to see out of the back through the rear view mirror while driving.

Again- it probably boils down to a personal preference and what you will be using it for.

1 Like

We ordered with no windows. Deliberated back and forth and talked to a friend who has one with no windows and has no regrets. We ultimately figured we would pack and likely block the window near the cab anyway. Didnt like the ability for people to snoop in the back window. No additional risk for leaks, etc as the seals get old (ours sits outside 24/7 in the elements). Also wanted to keep the weight down. We frequently drive gooseneck horse trailers and know that you quickly get used to not using the rear view mirror and its no big deal. So for us no windows is a great choice. Doubt you can go wrong either way honestly!

1 Like

All the reasons not to have windows listed above are certainly valid ones, and of course everyone has their own needs and concerns. But there is one main reason I’m going to have windows installed on my GFC (and why I have them on my LEER cap now). California drivers, especially in urban areas like the Bay Area and LA are very aggressive, and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve avoided being clipped from behind because I was able to see someone far behind me speeding through traffic like a demon and trying to cut in front of me at the last minute before a merge ended. For that reason alone (and a few others) I feel the rear windows are necessary for me, and will ensure me not being blindsided by other, reckless drivers.

1 Like

I just drove home with my new camper. I like the windows: I can see out well enough while driving, it lets in some extra light when camping, and I like the notion that I can see my dog (and vice versa). In terms of security, looks like it’ll be easy enough to cover the window so that somebody can’t see in; if somebody wants to break in, they’re gonna get in, windows or no.

3 Likes

Definitely leaning towards no windows now after reading through the comments. Thanks for the input peeps :slight_smile:

Ha, I was just thinking today how much I missed seeing out my rear window (it is covered in mud/dirt/ice)!!!

I just joined the forum & have been browsing around trying to get more info as to order options. I’ve been wondering about the windows. Anybody have any thoughts on just having a back window to let in light for when you’re hanging out inside on a rainy day or checking to see the coast is clear before you pop the door open? I had an interesting surprise from a bear once.

I do like the rear window for that reason of letting light in. Sometimes I wish I didn’t have windows because it would be more secure for hiding stuff like my bike but for the most part I’m glad I have them. I made my own window coverings / insulation out of reflectix. I have camped in some ski resort parking lots so it is nice to cover up the window for privacy.

2 Likes

I don’t have my GFC yet…
I ordered both windows. I believe that I will be happy with them. Better vision. I may not be too smart, but I’ve learned that more options generally give you more options.

Peace.

1 Like

I love having the windows, not only for driving but for the light it lets in.

1 Like

I have the front window but not the rear one. I’ll feedback my comments after having the camper since March and living out of it for about 30 days. For driving while loaded for camping, it doesn’t matter to me that I can’t see out the back. However for non-camping I find it really useful when I back the truck up. With the trail gate down and the rear camper door up I can drive backward quite well. I just got done shuttling cargo back and forth all day over 1000’ of narrow driveway. I appreciated buying the front window.

Have both, I like being able to see. I rarely pack so much on a trip that I can’t still see out the back. Are they absolutely necessary? Nah, but I like having them.

I just got my camper and I really like having both windows. After driving Montana to New Mexico, I can’t imagine a long day in the saddle without them. Tailgaters and people who come up behind you quickly before you realize are two reasons to have them. I can’t watch my mirrors all the time.

Peace.

If I was ordering again, I wouldn’t get windows. I don’t use them anyway.

I mean your already spending 7 grand on a camper why not ball out and get all the features. That way your not wishing you would have.
What’s 400$ in the long run.

1 Like

It’s not about the money. I don’t like people looking into my cab to see what I have, and it allows me to have privacy to change clothes and use the restroom if I have to. Moreover, I find it annoying to have lights in my rear view mirror while driving at night—even with me having 20% ceramic window tint on the rear windows. And it is just one less thing that I have to worry about potentially failing over time in regards to the window/window seal.

2 Likes

Definitely went with windows for my options. If I ever feel like I need the extra privacy I’ll just tint it out real good and call it a day. That can always be blacked out if desired. The chances of people having the curiosity to take a peek will be there regardless if I have windows or not. It’s different, so people will always be curious. I guess to me it’s one of those “better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it” type of deal. Cheers everyone!