Windows or no windows?

Went with the front window only. Reasoning being I wanted to keep an eye on my dog while in the back and I wanted the security of no window in the back. Do not need the windows to back up. Well, as others have commented, you can’t see anything in the bed while in the cab. Maybe if you were fancy on had bed lights on a can switch it would work out . Given the front window is not a slider I really don’t see the benefit of a front window without back window now and wish I went with no windows. Not a big deal but not worth $200 for me.

1 Like

I’m starting to change my opinion on having windows. Every time I do a longer trip I tend to pack the shit out of my truck which means I can’t see out of the windows anyways. So now the only time I really like the windows are when there’s not much in the truck. I wish I could have it both ways.

1 Like

Any rumors brewing for a removable and/or sliding front window? It would be nice to access the cab, as well as have the ability to clean the back window between the truck and camper.

3 Likes

I went with Windows on the front and rear panels and I’m happy I did. I personally like the extra light and driving visibility. I think it really comes down to what you intend to use that space for. Like others have noted, it’s nice to be able to see your dog if you drive with them back there like I do. If you plan to store a bunch of stuff back there day to day, then you might want standard panels for the extra privacy.

I’m thinking about getting both windows just so I can see the blue flashing lights… I have a new ranger and that girl is quick. It’s just a matter of time… as for sliding front window, if you are handy you can install RV windows. the aluminum isn’t that thick or hard to cut you just have to get past that bad feeling of cutting into it

2 Likes

Looking to trade my back panel with window (black) for one without the window. Mine is limo tinted. In California.

The camper is for a 3rd gen tacoma

If you don’t mind me asking, why do you want to swap panels? I can’t decide on whether or not I want the windows.

This week my best friend and I both had our trucks broken into. We both have a GFC and in both cases they broke a window into the cab. I lost 14k worth of camera equipment and my friend lost all of his backpacking gear just yesterday… My truck was at the beach and his was in outside our house on a private street both in Humboldt, CA. I have to leave my truck at trailheads and always felt like the cab was the safest place for gear. Now it’s clear the camper is. Its just more intimidating to break into and the “professional thief” didn’t even try with either of ours. If someone wanted to break in they would have to pull off a panel or crawl through that small window. Were both sure no one is going through the effort of breaking into the back but for me I don’t want there to be any option in the thief’s mind. Even though it has 5 points of entry into the camper (tailgate, tent, back side, left side, right side) that each have to be locked and that seems a bit weak when you think about it. Thats why I want to trade for a blank panel. Additionally I’m adding a toolbox bolted in the camper just to be redundant and bombproof. This seemed like the best way after going back and forth about drawer systems, half drawers or a rear seat delete with lockboxes.

As for the window - For me I thought i’d use it but its always blocked with stuff and such a small window to drive with. Now its clear for me that I want my gear completely out of sight, locked redundantly and no weak points. If you keep the windows clear of gear its actually useable but I have a net hanging down in the rear seat holding jackets which sags to block part of the window. On the camper side I sometimes have gear hanging in the way as well and I almost never look through the windows. My friend on the other hand finds the windows absolutely essential for backing up and keeps anything blocking them out of the way. Theres no doubt that looking over your shoulder to reverse is the best way and there will be countless situations where thats going to be very helpful especially if you’re good at it. For reference I have a backup cam and he doesn’t. When I back up its more slow going than him using just my mirrors and the backup cam just to check i’m clear. We both think the backup cam thing is unnecessary and something not to be relied on and is at the very least bad habit causing.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing… @BlakeDeBock
I’m sure it’s extremely frustrating… appreciate your perspective on the windows.

1 Like

Great idea. 14k worth of camera gear you got to lock that up tight. Maybe a pitbull back there too. I have a friend that installed some kind of alarm in his camper shell that would growl and bark if you got too close.

1 Like

Maybe keep the German Shepard in the truck at night. Then I wouldn’t even need to lock the doors…

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. Do you have insurance on your equipment? I pay $30 a month for a $15000 policy on my canon gear.

Another reason I left California. Happens too often out there.

1 Like

I’m still not 100% sold on window vs. no-window. I sat in a 2nd Gen Tacoma with both windows and it doesn’t make sense how the cab window is such a small triangle shape and the rear being so much bigger. Even with a stock rig, I could realistically only see through the square area of the sliding window of the Tacoma cab.

My issue is running a swingout with a 35" tire and 4 gal rotopax. With my softopper, I can see 20-30% through to the area/cars behind me but I can’t imagine that being the case with the narrow field of vision if I were to choose both windows…

Not too worried about thieves breaking the tailgate window since the swingout is always locked and the tire/gas cans block the area anyways.

Sigh…the pickle continues.

One thing I liked about a back gate window that I didn’t think about before was just it letting light into the back. It was really nice for hanging out and less claustrophobic feeling if you ever need to sleep with the tent closed.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I went from a long bed to a short bed and now I can’t fit in it laying down. I think the only advantage to the back window would be for hanging out in the bed for bad weather. Just not sure if it’s worth the extra $$ if inclement weather isn’t too common in California.

Good point about the locked swingout, but I still think the weakest link are the side panels themselves.

Letting light in also applies to finding/grabbing stuff out of the bed, not just hanging out in there.

If money were no issue, would you get the windows?

Ive got 35s and a 2 jerry can mount. No windows takes some getting used to, but i dont regret it. Can’t look back now! :laughing:

3 Likes

you can’t see the line of cars stuck behind you. I get it. I’m with you

2 Likes