AERONAUT Outdoor -- Premium Down Quilts

Right on Kyle!!! This is just the best to hear, thanks for sharing the love! Stay toasty out there :call_me_hand:

Yep! We’ve got GOFAST10 which is $50 off and also free shipping. Clicking on the link applies it when you check out. Which one are you thinking, silver or sage green?

1 Like

I realize I never posted a review as part of the Superlite × Aeronaut Test Program. My wife and I were fortunate to have been chosen and got the Hoverquilt just before a week in Mammoth, CA in May, and here’s what I wrote about it after that initial trip:

My wife and I have long been sleeping bag advocates given our initial focus on hiking, though in recent years we’ve moved to truck/car camping and have a rooftop tent. Slowly, we’d been adding some other blankets to our bags to augment (that popular brand that starts with an R), but as down devotees in all of out outdoor gear (jackets, sleeping bags), the R synthetic blankets are okay.

Given that we use a rooftop tent (GFC Superlite), the idea of having a non-constricted night’s sleep is highly appealing, coupled with the desire for a down blanket. Along comes the Hoverquilt, which at its comparatively massive width covers the both of us and the span of the tent with plenty to spare to tuck in around the sides and ends.

We’ve spent five nights straight at elevation in May testing it out, and as the nights progressed (with overnight lows ranging from upper 30s to low 40s), we ended up jettisoning layers. The first night was mid-30s and we still had our sleeping bags with the Hoverquilt on top, but by the third night, I was down to briefs only, no bag, one of the R synthetic blankets and the Hoverquilt atop, and I was perfectly comfortable! We had similar temps in January in Arizona at elevation and this combo wouldn’t fly.

As we all know, too much constriction doesn’t allow for air flow or warm air to get trapped, so having loose blankets kept me warmer than expected, which was a great revelation.

One of the biggest aspects was not having to sleep constricted in a bag anymore! It really gives you that at-home feel, and having a huge blanket that covers you and your partner (and a small dog) in a rooftop tent is a huge boon.

Since that trip we were went through Mammoth > Utah > Colorado at 7-11K feet for 10 nights > Utah > California and the Hoverquilt is still one of the best upgrades for sleeping that I didn’t think was that appreciable! Underrated game changer, and the best thing to getting you to feeling you’re sleeping at home rather than “camping” in a mummy bag. Down is the best.

And a little video showing the size better: GX HAUS on Instagram: "Casper the Ghost or is that an @aeronautoutdoor Hoverquilt? #aeronautoutdoor #hoverquilt #gxor #gxoffroad #gxnorcal #gx470 #gx470offroad #adventuring #roadtrip #roadtrippin #gfc #gofastcampers #gfcsuperlite #overlanding #overland #overlandtravel #truckcamping #carcamping #carcampingadventure"

3 Likes

Order placed. Sage green. Thanks!

1 Like

Naz, you and Jen are amazing. Thanks for putting this thing through the wringer! Love that it’s doing so great for y’all :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Awesome!! We’ll get that out to ya right away! And good choice, that green is flying.

First night in the books. Replaced 3 Kelty 30 degree bags for myself and 2 kids. Kept us warmer, packs smaller and quicker, and stows in the bedding catch with pillows. I think this is going to work great for us. Thanks for the killer quilt.

1 Like

Rad!! So stoked it did great for the family on the maiden voyage! Just in time for fall adventures :fire:

Recently received my @AERONAUT hoverquilt in the dark green / sage green colorway. Will soon have a chance to camp with it, but just from trying it on the sofa it seems excellent.

5 Likes

After using them every single night for the last 45 nights, I’m still in love with them but with one very very slight and minor annoyance……

They are slippery and will eventually slide off you at one point during the night

Regardless, still a 10/10

1 Like

Love seeing the sage green with your pup!! Thanks for sharing and cheers to all the toasty adventures ahead! :beers:

1 Like

Awesome!! Thanks for spreading the love Kyle! So stoked you’ve already got a ton of nights with it. The slip and slide can definitely be a drawback of blankets in general …

We do have the aerostraps that help keep it in place - it clips onto the loop at the side (kinda where your lower calf is), routes underneath the mattress and up to the other loop on the other side of the quilt to hold it in place. You can adjust how tight it is or loose to still kick a leg out. Those have helped us quite a bit and prevented my wife from stealing the whole thing :sweat_smile:. There are also loops at the sides, chest high, but I don’t use those very much.

We’re coming out with cool little toggles in the next week or two that attach the loops directly together for solo burrito mode or multi blankets :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Sounds like a great sleeping option. However, I would prefer a product manufactured in the United States.

2 Likes

Most stuff is made there unfortunately but I was surprised to see this blanket made there as well.

1 Like

@Spinkhog @GainzGFC thanks for chiming in and I very much appreciate the want for all our goodness to be USA made! This is from a post much earlier in this thread:

"Also, a heads up for everyone. These quilts are made in china. I should have been more up front about this, especially on this forum where we all value the amazing efforts to bring manufacturing back to the US. I know this is disappointing, but hear me out on our plan if you’re willing:

Our long term goal is to set up here in the USA as much as we can. For the quilts and level of manufacturing technicality they require, that can’t happen yet because there’s not a factory to approach here in the US. I’ve looked at it and with about 6 - 7$M I can probably set up my own factory.

:zap: The good news — I’ve worked for 12+ years at NEMO, Marmot, etc designing hundreds of bags from all several different factories, and the folks making the hoverquilt is by far the best of the best. Not just amazing quality, but the people are awesome, fair, and treat others really well who work there. The one thing better would be if it were in the US! Hopefully we can pave the way to do that someday soon :crossed_fingers:

I’m making some other accessories out of my garage but with rad machines (like “aerostraps”, that connect the quilt around any mattress or cool general utility straps). But I don’t have access (yet!) to a larger scale facility to make the quilts."

So hopefully soon we can grow and build local! But even until then, I will 100% stand by the quality of these quilts and benefits they bring to our camper setups, and believe in it so much I’ll fully refund and even pay return shipping if you’re not stoked within 110 nights. One cool thing is we’ve only got a ~1.7% return rate so far :call_me_hand:

7 Likes

But you promised me a nick cage quilt, im holding you to it.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: I forgot about that I’ll get on it!

1 Like

Completely understandable. Really would be cool to see these in like REI so could feel em in person. No one locally/or in the GFC scene has one near me unfortunately. The pictures of them do look really good!

1 Like

Yeah I hear ya the real deal is when you can actually see it and feel in person…

We’ll be at some events this summer with our own booth and others repping for us in different booths, maybe that can be a spot to check em out:

Easter Jeep Safari (Moab UT)
Overland Expo West (Flagstaff AZ)
Descend (pinnacles CA)
Expo PNW (bend OR)
Expo Mtn West (Loveland CO)
Descend (bend OR)
Hopefully a lot of local meetups including MT
Not sure about expo east, if anyone is going and wants to rep us there let me know!

We’re working to have one at all GFC install locations, and already have some at these partners below so far:

Spirit of 1876
Sackett Ranch
Tav LLC
Definitely more in the fall :pray:

Maybe I should do a little sampler, like tiny pillows we can send out to folks to feel in person … could be interesting!

2 Likes

“What is this… a quilt for ants!”

8 Likes