AMA or Ask Us Anything About HEST Mattresses for GFCs

Thanks ill ive this a try today and report back

1 Like

You the man, Blake. :call_me_hand:t3::fist::us:

1 Like

Great idea! Will test that for sure!

1 Like

I have the XL and I accidentally ordered it anyways… buuuuut we are “making it work” despite the sizing difference. I will post pics this weekend. We involved two pool noodles for now. I may take the old foam and cut some thin strips to “fill in” the gap. The only real noticeable issue is the main “largest” panel hangs over the floor panel a few inches, so the full “transform a floor” is slightly impacted. I am not advocating people order the wrong size, but I am saying that I believe we will sleep like babies with it, despite being in the XL. At first I said “the moment they sell the XL we are ON IT” but as we tinkered I started thinking maybe it was worth a compromise or a custom foam cutting situation. Will see. Any idea how long to wait for the properly fitted XL?

This thing is like sleeping on clouds

1 Like

Got mine in last week! Camping this weekend. Totally looking forward to it!

2 Likes

Follow up question for @HEST

Are you guys doing fitted sheets for the GFC Mattresses?

2 Likes

If they dont, my Overland softgoods sheets fit fine over the new HEST set… so there’s always that. I didnt have to buy another sheet set which was nice.

1 Like

Hey @HEST, I’ve spent a couple nights in the Dually Platform 50. It sleeps great. The sheets I have through Overland Soft Goods work better than my previous setup. I think overall, it’s a fulfilling improvement over the stock setup and am looking forward to more nights on this.

There is one thing that is a nuisance. The twin 25"x25" pieces. The handles are stitched into the top. It’s impossible to use these handles when I’m in the top of the camper when I have sheets on. And they are almost useless when I’m closing up the camper below as they barely protrude from the bottom. The design could be improved if they were stitched on the bottom like the original GFC mattress designs. Just food for thought.

2 Likes

Man i thought i was the only one haha. I tried to flip the pad upside down but it doesn’t help when youre upstairs trying to get out to take a piss in the middle of the night

1 Like

100% agree. The straps are not useful in the current configuration.

1 Like

So I’ve spent over a week on the new Platform 50 mattress. All I can say about it is that it works extremely well. I forget about it and that’s what you want; you don’t want to dread having to sleep on a slab of concrete like I used to. It’s a massive step up from the original V2 foam. I haven’t seen a Turbonap in person, so I can’t compare it to that. I use my Overland Soft Goods flannel sheets on it and even though that probably negates some of the advantages of the stretchy fabric on the Platform 50 mattress panels, it’s still a great mattress. I’m a side sleeper and there aren’t any issues. My biggest complaint, which has been voiced by others, is the usefulness (really the lack thereof) of the straps on the smaller panels. It takes a little more finesse to close the camper, but I think that’s totally worth the added comfort. Overall a solid upgrade.

1 Like

I made a “he Pee” for the GFC… Roll over, find the tube, cross your fingers for aim & that your tube/funnel system doesn’t fail you mid-stream. So far so good. My rear wheel hates me in the AM (tube ends there) but I’m stoked on it. :smile:

1 Like

Don’t know if i could muster the smell on my tire like that, hahaha! I pee A LOT solid leave small lake after each evening, thats a no no for me. I use a glow in the dark urinal i got off amazon, with a wide mouth screw on lid like a Nalgene! Empty it after each night and then rinse with soap and water, let dry and pack away in its pouch on my molle panel.

1 Like

Im definitely doing the headliner and im thinking the same thing. I have the VNCLR pouch upstairs too…

1 Like

For now, some hand chopped wedges of foam wrapped in soft cloth are filling the gaps down below. I put the old GFC panel over the front (A) to avoid the overhang and used the Hest pads for everything else. My heels won’t notice the thinner foam, I’m guessing… so in time I will do a cleaner option for those wedges.

For now, the 3” gap is filled and the bed is comfy AF.

The two small panels are the smaller Hest mattresses inside the standard GFC XL kit, leaving approximately 1.5” on every side without foam. This just leaves a little taper from the @overlandsoftgoods sheets. The gap in between our two sides is not noticeable, aside from my arm occasionally (and magically) finding the spot to hide when side-sleeping. I don’t mind it.

Also, that gap is a nice spot to store some small clothing bits, a Nalgene, or even a 9mm :wink:

Once I laid inside, the corners that seem to be “up” all laid nice in their spots and it closes super easily. You just have to folllow my newest pro tip: leave both of the locks in the DOWN position as you close the tent so you can be diligent about pulling both tent sides IN as it drops. IF you leave the locks down it will prevent accidental hand smashes and give you one last chance to peek for any escaped tent material before calling it good.

2 Likes

You just do a quick tire (and hePEE) rinse out in the AM, hang it in the sunshine. Done.

1 Like

Hey thank you all for the feedback. We appreciate it and will look to make improvements in the future.

We did have one customer reach out who used paracord to elongate the handles.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on his process? Would love to find a way to make this less awkward

4 Likes