AMA or Ask Us Anything About HEST Mattresses for GFCs

Throwing another hat in the ring for Hest that works with transformafloor.

7 Likes

Bought two foamyā€™s ahead of my GFC install (mid-August canā€™t come fast enough) and after spending a couple of nights on them I can confidently say theyā€™re the closest thing Iā€™ve found to sleeping at home on my premium mattress.

My plan is to just fold one in half so I can move and use the panels in the GFC. They have enough heft to them that they stay folded and the foam doesnā€™t crease for more than a few minutes when laid back out.

2 Likes

Iā€™m doing the same. Iā€™ll just fold it back when I want to move stuff around.

Iā€™d like to figure out a way to finish off the sides of the square panels so they arenā€™t so sharp. And will hopefully hold up better.

2 Likes

Purchased a 3 in ā€œopen cellā€ foam topper from Amazon ($50). Used it last night with the Overland soft goods foam I purchased prior. Thing is MONEY and I also purchased a Hest to compare. Got down to ~45Āŗ last night and no issues.

5 Likes

One of the primary things I want when camping is to be comfortable. If there is a Hest option I would be on board. A comfy mattress option that you have room to tuck the tent into and close down. Even if I have to store my sleeping bags down belowā€¦ A Hest option that works with the GFC modular floor optionā€¦ That would be Goldenā€¦

a

2 Likes

I know the video depicts the closing the platform camper with the dually inside. I have the gfc platform rtt and was wondering if it would also close completely with the dually opened? I have a bronco and I have no clue where iā€™d store it if it couldnā€™t.

Hey! We have the platform RTT on top of our HEST sprinter and the Dually Long closes inside of it just fine. It is a tighter fit than the stock mattress, but as long as you take the time to tuck in the tent fabric when closing, it works great. Here is an image of it closed with the Dually long inside.

Awesome! Was thinking the exped duo vs Hest and you probably just settled it. I donā€™t need much in terms of camping and overland, but 5 years of college football and my back needs a decent mattress always haha! Thanks a million!

Also, do you leave anything else up there or just the hest mattrress?

Totally understand, having a comfortable mattress will definitely help with the back and should make your camping trips much more enjoyable.

We just store the mattress up there, you could maybe store a light blanket or sleeping bag. But we keep all of our bedding out of the RTT and stored in the van.

I think my camper closes easier with the Hest than it did with the stock padding and Overland Softgoods.

4 Likes

Thanks! Ya, Iā€™ll admit Iā€™m a bit of a diva with sleeping situations haha. I just wanted to plan keeping our blanket up there and donā€™t mind keeping the pillows in the Bronco. Now I just need my ADV hardtop to put the GFC up thereā€¦

1 Like

What were the dimensions for the one from amazonā€¦wondering if it fit perfectly or if you had to trim it or if itā€™s a little smaller than the tent.

ā€¦also if you have the link? ā€¦thanks.

@symmetry_afield One thing that we ran into was as soon as we started to add more foam is it seemed to have a very minimal affect due to the covers compressing the foam and not letting it expand. Iā€™d recommend only putting~2-2.25" of foam within the covers and adding the 1" Overland Soft Goods foam ontop.

2 Likes

@HEST is this enough interest yet?

5 Likes

When I contacted them, they said no plans of doing the GFC in the next year. Earliest they would see is mid to late 2024 which is sad.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the Foamy and the Dually are the same material/memory foam? I just picked up a Foamy and I still bottom out when side sleeping (though it is definitely more comfy than the GFC mattress. If the Dually has more support I may swap out to that. If not, Iā€™ll buy a second Foamy for the GF and Iā€™ll just throw them on top of the GFC mattresses. Love the GFC, hate the mattress.

I have the Dually. Whatā€™s your body weight and are you bottoming out on your side or back?

Has anyone actually cut their hest mattress up to make it fit the GFC?

2 Likes

@Buhlockaye has a photo of a guy who cut his up and placed them into ā€œOverland Bedzā€ 4 inch covers. I tried contacting them to get covers but they seem to have gone out of business or not responding to messages. Only way youā€™re going to get a Hest or 4 inches of foam to fit properly is to make new covers as it will compress the foam too much.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s that photo @GainzGFC was referring to.

4 Likes