Awnings! What are your thoughts?

@Hoooogan Yes, but is a little low. See posts above for solutions (around Aug 20 this was discussed).

2 Likes

@adv_riggs Thanks! Looks like I’ll be making my own brackets instead.

1 Like

Great! Thank you for the Info! I also meant to ask when you have your tent popped up in your awning deployed where do you attach both your front and rear ratchet straps to?
P.S. What’s your “hinge set up on the side” plan? :face_with_monocle:

@Slowboater do you have any photos of how you mounted your AluCab Shadow Awning to your GFC? I just picked one up and I’m figuring it out… thanks

1 Like

@Slowboater Awesome, thanks!!

And whoa, what’s the rearmost mount?
Still interested what you think about this option? Will the Kinsman 90 degreee rear mount work in that rear position along with the 2 GFC mounts?
Found your post, thanks!! Alu-cab Shadow Awning - #83 by Kasra

Contact @AlexaB . He made these for V1. I don’t know if he’s making them for V2 or not. It’s bitchin’! There’s info about them on another thread somewhere.

@Slowboater just PM’d AlexaB about a V1 passenger side mount, much appreciated!

Any idea if the Kinsman rear mount would work for the AluCab?

Thanks

Yes, but the dude at Kinsman (I don’t remember his name) is a bit religious about his mounts only being used on his awnings. If Alex will make you one - I can’t recommend him enough. He was super cool and easy to deal with. He kept following up to make sure the install went well etc etc.

Make sure you have 2 guys to help you mount the awning. I tried with just one other person and it was a pain. I conscripted another buddy and it was easy peasy.

Cheers,

3 Likes

With the Kinsman being over $2.1k now and being on the heavy side, I’m also looking real hard at the Alucab awning. Hoping that @AlexaB is down to make a mount for a GFC V2.

5 Likes

I love my Kinsman. It holds up in the most intense winds here on the NC coast.

1 Like

Finally got my OVS 270 LT mounted. Two brackets felt weak, three worked, four provides extra peace of mind. Happy I waited.

5 Likes

@Ten8_overland Nice bracket riser/locks!!

I added a third bracket to my OVS 270 LT and agree. Three is very sturdy.

3 Likes

Got my OVS270 installed a few weeks ago and finally have it up and with the walls. Its very cozy. I used three brackets because that is what the awning came with. The OG awning brackets are pretty beefy.

1 Like

Thanks @adv_riggs . I didn’t want to leave the awning mounted all the time. I was able to modify some RackBrax to fit so now she’s detachable. Only complaint is the cost of the RackBrax but the option to remove is epic.

1 Like

Those rackbrax are sweet! pricey though!

1 Like

Also, I sure like how the V2 has the pistons inboard. Not having anything on the outside of the tent sure is a cleaner look.

1 Like

@Slowboater - yeah those RackBrax cost as much as my awning :grimacing:

1 Like

Nothing back from @AlexaB yet on the mount… anyone seen him lately?

Love the RackBrax, but noticed they recommend no more than 44lb per bracket. I know the awning weighs less than 100lbs in total, but when deployed it could produce much more ft. lbs. in certain conditions. What is your opinion regarding the “sturdiness” of the brackets.

1 Like