Awnings! What are your thoughts?

Here’s some driveway pics of the CVT 270 awning in tan. Initial impressions are it’s extremely stout. The single provided pole gives additional comfort if there’s any wind. Provided light strip is nice and comes with a pocket to put a small USB battery bank. The ratchet system for tightening it down is simple and effective, just pull the string to tighten and one press to release. It has a tension rod to help manage water and everything i’d expect from a top notch 270 at 42lbs. I used 3 GFC brackets.

4 Likes

Are you using the wall mount RacksBrax or their awning kit?

GFC mount and RackBrax. Works perfect for me.

Anybody running the Kammok Crosswing free standing awning?
https://kammok.com/products/crosswing-instant-car-awning?variant=40185019662390

Thinking about buying one to replace my old Yakima Slim Shady that doesn’t get much use b/c of the poles and such. The crosswing looks awesome with how quickly you can set it up. I could see myself using it a lot.

Just picked up a Yakima Major Shady 270 from the REI sale for $750. Good price.1 year return, if I don’t like it. Couldn’t wait for the FSR anymore.

1 Like

I know it’s too late but just another shout out for the CVT 270 awning. A little cheaper than the FSR and only 5 more lbs (42lbs). Comes with one pole if you want it and USB light strip.

For anyone who doesn’t know FSR and CVT are both based out of Bend, OR and have a “friendly” competition. I’d wager they based their awning on some of FSR’s success.

1 Like

Looks like we just sold the last of our Alu-Cab Shadow awning bracket inventory. Ping me if you are interested in purchasing. Get in touch - 4WD-Mod.com

I’m going to chime in for OVS. I installed the 270 driver side w/ 3 of the GFC brackets. The install was extremely simple. My camper can open all 3 sides with zero issues. It probably weighs 70 lbs but took 5 mins driving to get used to it. No big deal. I took a 0.1 hit on MPG.

Right after the 20 second deploy, the winds jumped from 5mph to about 25mph, so I decided to see how complicated it would be to “fully secure” this thing.

It took about 2 mins to extend the poles and drop 3 lines. The awning likely did not need all of this, but I wanted to be triple-safe. Tear-down was a 2-min job and it fits in the case nicely without stressing zippers. For the money and overall quality, I highly recommend this OVS270.

We ultimately had 6 people in camp chairs scattered about in the shade without feeling cramped.

So, even in the least convenient setting (lines and poles) this awning was great!

7 Likes

Finally got up the new Yakima Majorshady. Man…for $750…such a good bang for your buck free standing 270. Super strong fabric too.

The lower struts posted earlier in this thread worked wonders. Perfect clearance.

Love this rain thing.

Also really appreciate the built in legs for those extra windy days.

Next up - picking up the wall kits when the next REI sale goes on.

6 Likes

My goal is KISS. A 6’ ARB awning with two universal mounting plates. I just camp. I don’t do Gourmet dinners… 99% of the time it’s just me.

1 Like

I had this awning prior on my tacoma. I also switched to a 270 mainly for ease of setup also. I never set up the ARB because it felt like more of a “pain”. The 270 is soooo easy to deploy now.

3 Likes

Same. Never used it cause it was such a pain to setup on a lifted/big tire truck, holding it up, walking it out, balancing 1 arm, while putting up the support legs…ugh. So glad I have the 270 now.

Can you deploy only one side at a time on the 270 degree awnings? For example, only open up the portion that covers the tailgate area while leaving the side area closed?

With mine, no. I don’t see how it would work on others either.

1 Like

Thanks for the info on the 270. I will look into it. Did you use the universal mounting brackets? How many?

I looked at the kinsman but their site lists everything as sold out, not accepting orders. Are they still in business? Has anybody used the 270 Nomadic??

They are. I just received mine. Give them a call. Maybe just a problem with the site

1 Like

All of their products on their website are listed as sold out.
Not even an option for a future delivery date. Their contact info link is weird.

For those running the OVS 270 LT, I’m curious how much it rises above the roofline of the camper once installed. I’m working with very little clearance to get into my garage, but sure would love the option of a mounted 270 awning.

I have an Ironman4x4 270 awning on three GFC universal mounts. It’s flush to the top of the camper. I have height restrictions getting into my garage too so this works fine.,

1 Like