Camper Mattress!

I posted it thinking someone would delete the GFC pads and leave that up there full time like some people (including myself) do with the Exped duo.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I thought you were talking about. Looks like a nice mattress. It’s 3.9” tall when open, would that fit up top with the tent closed?

We shall see lol. I just bought it bc it was on sale and returns sound easy so I’ll post about it when I get it. If it works out nicely I’ll sell my exped duo if someone wants.

2 Likes

Yea I was assuming the top would t close with it in there. But if it actually closes that could be kind of awesome

Well if this works out I’ll buy that duo from ya! If you’re completely replacing what’s in there now I think 3.9" is gonna just barley fit, but it’ll be tight!

1 Like

Just put the Hest Dually in standard camper. Fits perfect. There’s clips on either side of the mattress that need to get tucked into a pocket on the side or else it could wedged when the camper is closing. Has a phone pocket on the end with and a zipper that easily pops the cover off to wash. First impression this thing is super comfortable. I like the idea that it’s basically two different mattresses with a seam down the middle, and can fold the mattress in half when I camp solo to get even for comfort. Next trip is beginning of June where I can give a better impression of this thing.

4 Likes

Does it close properly?

Yeah it closed just fine. I positioned it with some space on either end and was a tiny bit tougher than the original mattress, but I’ll take that over sleeping on that concrete slab GFC provides

Most definitely. Need to look again at the measurements for the xl camper vs this pad

Appreciate you taking a shot at this and letting us know

1 Like

Looks nice! Do you think you would be able to cut it into the dimensions of the original GFC mattress? Trying to find a full replacement for the original GFC pads.

I bet you could, but it would probably be cheaper to find some foam on Amazon and cut to your liking. The cost on this was kinda stupid (and it was on sale).

I originally did the foam cut outs and put them on each bed square under the mattress sheets but it just wasn’t as nice as I had hoped.

2 Likes

I think I’ve read through this post 5 times. Tons of different solutions! New GFC owner, just picked up last week. I bought the GFC to use as a basecamp while backpacking, so I am used to having not the most comfortable nights on the ground and look at the GFC as a refuge. I backpack with a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir X-lite, which is lightweight and comfortable enough, given its weight.

My first night in the GFC, I slept just on the stock mattress pads. I had the air mattress with me, but didn’t use it. It was definitely too firm for me. So, I swing by a Wal-Mart and picked up a 2 inch topper. It was better, but since I am a side sleeper, I still felt the firmness.

I got home and went through this thread again, and while I was really intrigued by the Exped Megamat, I am disinclined to use anything which requires inflation/deflation and I want to be able to use the modular floor to its fullest function.

I think I may have found the solution that works for me. It was $75 when I ordered but now $90 (Fixed link, it’s $75) . Still way cheaper than an Exped Megamat.
Link

I haven’t slept one night on it, but here’s what sold it for me:

• It’s 75 x 25 when extended so will fit one half of the GFC almost perfectly and I can get a 2nd if I like it.
  • It stacks to 25 x 25 x 12 , so will easily fit on one cube if I want to keep it out of the way
  • It can also be set up as a comfy chair since it’s a tri-fold.
  • It’s called “Memory Foam” though reserving judgement on that for now. 4 inches sounds like heaven though.

I hadn’t seen a solution like this mentioned, so wanted to throw this out there.

EDIT: Fixed the link, found the $75 one.

3 Likes

The link took me to the Twin size which is 31". The Single (25" sq) is still available at $75. Go to their store and search for the Single size. I tried copying the Single link and it also took me to the Twin size as above.

Thanks, got that link fixed.

I recently did the exped mega mat duo, worth the money IMO, it was a game changer.

2 Likes

I’ve heard those are called flip’n’fucks in college…

3 Likes

REI has expeds for 25% off starting today. You’re welcome!

4 Likes

For what its worth, I bough the Big Agnes Double Hinman sleeping pad which states it is 50" wide, well after trying to fit it into my Version 2 camper, I actually got out a tape measure and the pad is pushing 53" wide. When I bought it, I was hoping to be able to close the camper with the Big Agnes pad inside, but with the extra material from the width it won’t work. I could force it closed, but it is not really closed and looks like it is bowing/bending the upper half of the tent.

1 Like

I’m experimenting with replacing the top layer of foam (soft density) with a 1" firm latex mattress topper.

The bottom layer of GFC foam is very hard density to prevent bottoming out, coupled with a very soft top layer for ‘comfort’.

I have a 3" medium/firm latex topper that I’ve used for 7 years down in the camper shell (lower bunk) that has been very comfortable for me as a side sleeper and wanted to reproduce that experience with the upper bunk (what I call the GFC sleeping area) without adding any extra height or replacing with an inflatable mattress.

Haven’t tested it out other than comparing the two side-by-side (the OEM GFC mattress in one cube and my half foam/half latex in the other) on the floor so can’t comment yet on what the full experience will be like, but I can already tell it’s slightly softer without bottoming out (my concern with replacing the whole GFC mattress with a 2" latex topper.

Presenting another option for how to make the GFC mattress more comfortable.

Also, FWIW, I’ve slept about 10 nights in the GFC with the standard mattress and while I thought it would be too hard for me, I slept extremely well on it - so perhaps I’m trying to fix something that isn’t broken.

I also opted not to add the latex topper under the GFC sheets (but on top of the standard mattress) because I wanted to keep the height stock so that I could keep my bedding (large down duvet) up top and still close it with ease. I just toss the pillows in the bed and use those for daytime napping while on the road.

4 Likes

You are going hard, I seem to have slept fine on the GFC standard mattress, but the wife not so much. Sounds like you are going to make your own solution and still have bedding and that will fit when closed. Nice dog.

1 Like