Easy, Effective DIY Wind Fairing

I made this fairing to cut down on wind noise and improve fuel efficiency. It eliminated wind noise (75-78db to 62-65db in the cab). It also improved mpg, but only slightly based on initial testing (0.5-1.0mpg). Fuel efficiency gains are most pronounced in the 40-60mph range.

Parts

• 1/4" plexiglass sheet. I ordered mine custom from https://www.cuttingboardcompany.com for ~$80 but you could buy a 24" x 48" for cheaper and cut it lengthwise to just mount two pieces instead of one.
  • Rubber strip. I got 1" wide, but 2" wide would be even better so you could wrap underneath.
  • Vinyl wrap
  • 1/4" hardware and GFC track nuts
  • 3/8" aluminum trim channel
  • Aluminum 45* brackets. 6060 and 4040. You could use one kind or mix.
    Total cost probably $100-150.

Assembly:

1. Determine placement of brackets. Cut some rubber strips and place along GFC track to prevent trim channel from scratching. Cut the channel trim to the size of the brackets.
  2. Mount angled brackets. Drill hole through trim channel and mount angled brackets to GFC.
  3. Size and cut the plexiglass. Determine the roof contour line to cut into the plexiglass. There are probably better ways to do this, but I laid mine across the brackets and then measured the drop from sides to the roof near doors. Be careful cutting the plexiglass; chunks fly. Wear safety glasses.
  4. Lay rubber strip on roof. Protect your roof where the fairing will come in contact by putting down some rubber strip. When you mount the plexiglass, the edge should be touching the rubber in at least a few places so it doesn’t bounce and squeak.
  5. Drill mounting holes in plexiglass. Line it up on the roof and brackets. It should be touching the roof in at least a few spots. Mark the holes where you will drill to mount it to brackets.

After checking that it fits and snugging it down to check placement of rubber on roof you can take it off to vinyl wrap and place another rubber strip on the bottom for extra aero and squeak protection. This has held up with no signs of wear or stress in 80+ mph speeds with crosswinds, headwinds, etc.

17 Likes

Very nice! Certainly saving this for future reference.

1 Like

Update — a few things to change after having it on for a few months:

1/ use clear scratch cover / paint protector film for the roof and for the mount guards. The rubber wore through on the guards and it looks better on the roof.
2/ Use locknuts on the plexiglass mount; regular nuts loosen due to vibration.
3/ Cut the plexiglass such that you have >2cm of clearance to the roof and use 2" rubber instead of 1" at the base. This will prevent squeeking and you still get the same clean look and aero performance.

Otherwise still working great! Wind noise gone, very slight mpg improvement (0.5-1mpg).

3 Likes

Thanks for the update!