GFC solar setup?

Hello, anyone with a solar panel(s) setup that fits entirely on top of gfc covering most if not the entire roof? Please share some ideas…thank you. I do not plan on mounting anything else on the roof.

If you search Solar on the main page you will find tons and tons of folks who have posted what they are currently doing.
Just might find more that way.

1 Like

Still learning to post other locations. Maybe this will help if i did it right. Lol.

1 Like

A standard commercial size panel will take up almost the entire roof on an XL. On a regular camper it would be full width.

This is a 400w Solaria panel. They make a 430w as well but I wanted some space for a roof vent so I went with the 400w. It fits just below my beef bars so I can still use them if needed.

1 Like

@Chuck.D Awesome setup. How did you mount the solar panel to the beef bars?

A note on flexible panels, I had a bad experience with my Sunpower flexible panels. They need about a 1" gap from the roof (I mounted them directly with tape - this heated up my roof and burned up one panel). I believe this is true of all flexible panels, but other people seem to have better luck so YMMV.

I don’t think this Solaria panel is compatible with my Goal Zero Yeti 1000x (because output voltage is above 50V). Too bad, it looks like an incredible solution.

@Vice_Chief Interesting you had such a bad experience. I currently have a single Renogy 175w flex panel with 3M tape but haven’t had any issues yet; hopefully never. Just checked the Renogy product page and they suggest mounting it directly on the surface using silicone construction adhesive. Maybe try that route but definitely would check your product page for install instructions/recommendations.

1 Like

There is a picture on the post below. Aluminum angle is bolted to the bottom of the beef bar the the panel sits in it.

1 Like

I mounted 2 100w towards the front, could fit another 2 towards the back but I have a portable 140w that I use if I need more, for now. I was just worried about making the roof too heavy to lift, cause just those 2 made a difference.

Only reason I did 2 100w, with help of the 140w portable, I run a fridge full time and starlink for work.

When I was just running my fridge and doing random charging, 100w worked just fine keeping my Jackery topped off between the solar and 12v charging while driving.

2 Likes

When I decided to add a second panel I opted for a portable panel from Jackery so I could point it at the sun no matter where I’m parked. Depending on wind and other factors I might position the truck a certain way that doesn’t always point the roof panel at the sun.