Julian's 2021 TRD Pro Build

It looks like it is a Lagun table mount

1 Like

Good eye, definitely looks like it from their web page

1 Like

I have this one saved on amazon. I think it is a knock off but basically identical. About $80 cheaper too.

1 Like

Nice, I’d found this one but the one you posted is cheaper still.

1 Like

Incredible build. Reading every detail with great interest. Thanks for taking the time to document and post all this hard work.

1 Like

V2 Retroactive Build Update 04/14/24 — Assembly and Finishing Details

Alright! This is going to be a long post.

The first step was to add “cleats” to support the cubby lids on the drawer cabinet and bulkhead bench.

We used wood for the cleats on the bulkhead bench and aluminum on the drawer cabinet for a lower profile to clear the kitchen drawer.

Before affixing the tops we mounted the Lagun Table System. With some dumb luck the lower mounting holes on the bracket aligned perfectly with existing holes in the rail slide. The top bolts were cut down in length to clear the drawer itself.

We also installed the hardware (A few pieces of aluminum angle) to guide and keep the sliding door face in place.

At this point we were ready to screw in the tops of the bulkhead bench and drawer cabinet.

Next up we tackled the “Garage” and the “Kitchen sink”. First we built out a simple cleat system with a mix of aluminum angle pieces and 3/4" wood for the laminated garage lids to sit on and cut out holes around the GFC brackets for a tight and clean look.

For the “sink” we cut out a hole for a large Tidy Board container (note: There is no drain on the container, its just a catch). We’ve yet to actually use it as a sink, it’s more so just a place to store the container when the kitchen drawer is closed.

(Credit where credit is due: The long and skinny “Garage” concept, faucet placement, and water jug placement are all directly inspired by and copied from @DirtTrailsWanted build.

Let’s move onto the kitchen drawer! As I shared above, the drawer was designed to be as light and small as possible—so everything within the drawer fits like a glove (Snow Peak Baja Burner, Snow Peak IGT Half Unit Container, and the Tidyboard cutting board)

:couch_and_lamp: CUSTOM CUSHIONS

After watching a handful of youtube videos My wife (@lisselundin figured out how to sew custom box corner cushion covers for the benches. She got her hands on some high density 4 inch foam, crypton fabric (durable, stain resistant), and zippers and sewed 'em up in 2 days. They are so comfortable. We’ll report back in 6 months to see how the fabric holds up after this journey.

The notch out on the side of the drawer is to expose the burner controls (ignition and fuel flow dial) and save on material weight.

The grill of the burner was the highest point. We did not want to extend the overall height of the drawer for just the grill so I built out a magnetic base on the under side of the cutting board slide to house it when stowed.

Dropped in a piece of leftover laminate, leftover aluminum, and a hook to finish off the face of the garage.

I also added a handful of threaded inserts in the drawer to be able to mount Snow Peak’s TTA accessories. These accessories are stored in the “garage” when the drawer is stowed and will only come out when posting up at same camp for 2+ nights.

The garage was a bit of a black hole so I added these battery powered motion sensor lights that turn on when the lids are removed. It’s been really cool to have on the road the past two weeks. I’m really curious to see how long the aaa batteries last… I wish they were usb rechargeable.

:satellite: ASIDE FOR STARLINK SIDE PROJECT

With most of the assembly complete it was time to move into some electrical work. I did not want to bring the Goal Zero or factory router on this journey and instead run the Starlink off the 12v “house” battery under the hood. I wired up a Dishy Dualie, YAOSHENG converter, Blue Sea kill switch, and a PoE (power over ethernet) MicoTik router.

Shockingly everything just “worked” when I flipped the blue sea switch (wired to my electrical cubby via the ARB socket I was previously using to power my fridge). This whole endeavor and project deserves a post of it’s own that I’ll go deeper into in a few weeks as it included upgrades to the house battery and solar on roof. I still want to cut my Starlink cable down to remove some of its length, crimp on a standard RJ45, and remove the YAOSHENG converter. (I just ran out of time before hitting the road, I may attempt to tackle this from camp one day.)

That just about wraps the big updates on the bed layout. No complaints or issues yet after spending two weeks in it. Has been such a level up in comfort when hiding out downstairs during downpours and mosquito swarms in the gulf here in Texas.

Coming next: I’ll share updates on the upgraded electrical system, our upstairs/sleeping setup, a few new exterior accessories, and provide a deeper dive into the starlink solution.

I’ll also take some to list out everything that we removed and/or sold to ensure this thread remains up-to-date and accurate.

13 Likes

V2 Retroactive Build Update 04/14/24 — New VRNCLR Frame Bags and Appendix

:fire: Custom VRNCLR Frame Bags

I hit up Tom at VRNCLR Sewn Storage with a pitch to collab on a custom bag design that would be accessible from both the interior and exterior of the camper for the new build. He was down to give it a shot, reviewed my mockups (below), got to work, and absolutely nailed the assignment.

(note: we ran out of time to build out the peg board on the bulkhead pictured here in my mockup but still something we’re interested in tackling in the future)

Tom’s GFC frame bags utilize a rigid board within the bag to ensure it keeps shape under load due to GFC only threading one 1 accessory bolt in the space frame. With the two-sided concept the board would not be feasible as it would limit access from the interior of the camper.

To solve for this, Tom mocked up and ordered aluminum brackets online and I taped out additional threaded holes in the space frame. (@ GFC Warranty team, close your eyes)

We had to drill out holes in the bracket as this was the very first prototype that was designed and ordered under an insanely tight timeline and going off crude measurements. They are totally fine as they are, but we may replace 'em with a revised bracket design now that we have a better understanding of the measurements.

I am so so so thrilled with how these turned out. We’re utilizing the smaller bags for our toiletries and the larger bags are still housing gear as the previous bags were (Fly fishing stuff, nets, hiking poles, etc.) The interior dyneema pockets keep cables and change of clothes tidy and out of sight.

Tom’s frame bags are so solid. If you’re able to, I would not consider any other amazon/etsy/over-seas options over his dialed in goods. Tom is a master craftsman, the quality is top-notch, and you’re supporting a small batch made in USA business.

A note: These bags are strictly proof of concepts and not yet a design that Tom has rolled into his core lineup. As seen here, we still had to trouble shoot a few things, including (probably?) voiding my warranty on the parts I drilled into. If you would be down to mess with your space frame and/or are interested in a two-sided bag drop a like on this post or a comment to help gauge interest.

:open_book: Appendix / Few small details building on the above post that I spaced on:

• We placed cork down inside the bulkhead bench and the kitchen drawer for a finished look and to (maybe?) help limit items from sliding around.

• I mounted a RuuviTag Pro in the garage by the Starlink System (just for fun to have the data)

7 Likes

Wow dude. This is a next level build. Great job! You should join me in my finish carpentry job. :raised_hands:

3 Likes

So stoked we contributed a small element to this masterpiece. Super excited to see this in person soon :grin:

1 Like

Whats those colorful pads that keep showing up in most of the pictures?

NEMO Chipper Reclaimed Closed-Cell Foam Seat

1 Like

One of my all-time favorite pieces of outdoor gear: NEMO Chipper pads! Great knee pads when climbing in-and-out of the truck bed, as seat cushion at picnic tables, safe surface for cameras and laptops on the ground, etc. I own four but only travel with two at time.

Build Update 04/16/24 — Introducing the GFC compatible HEST Dually Platform 50 :bed:

I’m so stoked to share with y’all the launch of HEST’s new “Dually Platform 50”. [Now available for pre-order — heads up that the initial run is limited and orders will ship in June.]

I’ve been beta testing a prototype model with the HEST team for the past two moths and it’s been an absolute game-changer in the camper. I’m here to answer any questions! AMA! :wave:

:triangular_ruler: The Dually Platform 50 is “Transform-a-floor” compatible and closes with ease.

The brand new mattress is made specifically for the GFC and lines up exactly with the transform-a-floor panels. (And yes, the tent closes—videos of me closing the camper can be found here).

:relieved: The HEST comfort you would expect.

The material and build quality is identical to that of the Dually Long I was previously running from October 2023 to February 2024. I feel as rested when waking up in the camper in the morning as I do after a nights sleep on my direct-to-consumer memory foam bed at home. This thing is game-changing for long-term living in the GFC.

:basket: How we store our bedding when traveling

We’ve been using HEST’s Camp Pillow, Sedona Pillow Cases, and one of our down comforters (in a generic duvet) alongside the Platform 50. As I shared above, this sleeping setup is as comfortable as sleeping at home. When in motion the pillows and comforter sit downstairs held in place by our table. When we arrive at camp we toss the three items upstairs. This setup has really simplified bed making and tear down.

Lisse also taught herself how to sew fitted sheets and whipped up two for the larger Platform mattresses. (We ran out of time to make more for the two squares but do have plans to add in the future or :crossed_fingers: that HEST releases their own down the line :heart_eyes:)

Please feel free to drop any questions here and I’ll do my best to answer or tap in @HEST themselves.

A note: I was shipped this prototype to field test and photograph ahead of the release. My thoughts shared here are my own and I have not received any payment or compensation from HEST. I will receive a small affiliate commission via AvantLink if any folks choose to make purchases from the links in this post.

11 Likes

Awesome! Does the roof bow outward at all when the tent is closed? The mattress looks thick!

1 Like

Great Q! I just ran out to the parking lot of the library I’m at to grab these photos for you. To my eye, it may bow a hair—but no more then that of the dually long or old stock mattress + bedding. The weather stripping that GFC had us add retroactively is still creating a tight seal and closing the camper feels the same as closing on the dually long.

4 Likes

Looks normal to me!

3 Likes

Beat me to this question, and I agree I don’t see any gap! Good to go! Ordered my set and now will be watching for my shipping update in june

2 Likes

Hest vs GFC turbo nap… honest opinion…

They both spendy so I was curious…

Hey @Jtc response I dropped on different thread is quoted below:

I have not considered the TurboNap. I chose to stick with HEST given their expertise in the sleep system space, overall track record of good vibes, and my relationship with the folks on their team.

The dually long that I ran from Oct 2023 – Feb 2024 was already a perfect mattress for me—and the dually platform just takes it to next level :metal: :beers: Given all of this I personally never considered the TurboNap.

1 Like

Just got a dually today. Guess the main difference would be the sectional mattresses vs the large one? And slightly longer ?