Mobile use and Camp use Starlink to Extrusion mount?

Sweet! I just learned something I did not know :smiley:

Hi all! Curious if any of these mounts for the GFC are available for purchase from the GFC community? I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on the Starlink- should probably stop dancing around it and do it- and would like a mount for the camper.

Myself and keeganbuilds both sell mounts for GFCs on Etsy.

I posted one of my earlier models but you can find mine here at BZ Shop

2 Likes

Right on thanks!

2 Likes

Do you have anything in the works for the new v3 dish?

Nothing at the moment, just saw the release however I don’t know of anyone around me to test with.

Hi Buhlock - I just ordered a V3 dish and I was planning on using some combination of your mount + a piece of pipe + the V3 pipe adapter, but if you need help testing a different solution or measurements made I’d be happy to help; I’m located in northern california.

Thanks @dank_ganks ! I’ll have to do some more research on the different “pipe” options for the V3’s but might take you up on that offer if it comes down to it. Appreciate you reaching out and offering!

Can anyone share their current setup? I have a mini coming in a few weeks and don’t like the idea of leaving it on the ground.

Your Mini will come with the “kickstand” as well as a pole attachment. There are already a number of mounts and attachments allowing you to use magnets, suction cups, or hard attachment points depending on how you’re wanting to use it.

I originally had my Gen 2 mounted to the roof of my camper via the pivot mount, similar to @julian and @DirtTrailsWanted had set up. Now I’m waiting for some aluminum extrusion to arrive so I can build a mount inside my camper against the roof. I tested it and the Mini was able to connect and pull really decent speeds through my roof, even with the carpet lining I’ve installed.

2 Likes

I am going to a local supplier to sort some extrusion for my bed when work slows down, I had not been aware of the power. Appreciate you.

If you’re still wanting an option to mount it on the ground, this is the cheapest, solid-looking mount I’ve seen: Tripod Adapter for Starlink Mini “StarDapter”

1 Like

This will give you an idea of how I plan to mount it “inside” the camper: Starlink Mini / Gen 3 Roof Mount Kit for Overlanding, Vans with 80/20

2 Likes

Yo @Jonah! You can find my original installation post of the standard dish here along with a quick overview of my recent 12v conversion here. Hopefully provides some inspo on how to manage running your wiring in a clean and out-of-sight way.

Disclaimer for others: I do have a flat mount conversion kit in storage that I will be installing in the future, so the pivot mount will be removed—mounting and taking down the dish daily gets old. But you don’t need to worry about any of that with your mini!

3 Likes

I’ve started playing with the Mini:

I think the ram mount option will work best for me as I had enough scrap laying around to make it work

The mount is a aluminum ram ball t track mount:
https://a.co/d/bT58NZM

That combined with a 4 inch scrap piece of 1/8" flat aluminum and some 1/4-20" pan-head screws worked perfectly to mount up to the existing Starlink Mini wedge:

The ram ball just twists on by hand and is strong enough to hold the full weight of the dish with no issues:

The 3 inch ram arm lets it work in multiple orientations, and gives me full multi-axis adjustment to make the starling happy:
Deployed test:

Overall I’m into this project less than $30 as I had a lot of stuff kicking around

I estimate it would be $50-$60 in supplies to accomplish buying all new,

I recently got a 3d printed and thought this would be a good chance to learn a new skill and make some camping gear

So far the V1 for this looks great

I will probably play with the print a bit more and then get it done in metal with SendCutSend.

Still flipping back and forth of if I want the plate threaded or if I’ll keep longer screws so I can keep nylock nuts on it

For now, it already looks way cleaner:

IMG_1752
IMG_1753
IMG_1754

1 Like

Do you think it would get signal thru the bottom of the top floor where the bedding catch on some rigs would be? Im still waiting on my mini, wont be in hand for at least another week and am brainstorming ways to mount this thing. Id rather keep it internally mounted but came to the same page with the extrusion mount and am thinking maybe i can just mount it externally on my roof rack….

Hopefully someone with an older dish can speak up

I’m waiting on my gfc install for next month

Fwiw, the Rivian GFC has a cutout for the shark fin and the camper allegedly has no impact on the wireless reception for ADAS and radio

But idk what band radio Starlink uses and how susceptible it is to interference

1 Like

I was in a rush yesterday and threw dishy in the back. It works through the whole thing.
IMG_9176

It is intermittent, but I was doing 90kmhr on a single lane bumpy fsr. So it was bouncing all over in the back