Julian's 2021 TRD Pro Build

Build Update 11/16/22 —Highlights from the past few months and minor truck updates

I’m settled back in California for the holidays after an incredible summer and autumn in Alaska and Canada. I’ll drop a few photos from the adventure below before diving into #truckstuff in the next post.

:point_up_2: British Columbia + Alberta

:point_up_2:Stewart-Cassiar Highway

:point_up_2:Skagway, AK

:point_up_2:Dalton Highway enroute to Deadhorse, AK

:point_up_2:Seward, AK where we met @DirtTrailsWanted at a trailhead parking lot :wave:

:point_up_2: Chitina and McCarthy with @DirtTrailsWanted

:point_up_2: Anchor Point and a bunch of ferries.

:point_up_2: Salmon Glacier, BC

17 Likes

Build Update 11/16/22 — Moving onto the #truckstuff updates

Suspension upgrades

Dropped in Deaver Expedition Stage IIs + Kings at the top of this year. Night and day experience driving with the constant weight of the GFC and gear.

MESO Customs puddle lights

Installed MESO Custom’s Puddle Lights. These things are super bright and would recommend the modification. PITA to install cleanly though—set aside a full weekend for this one.

Paddle rack

We brought our ORU Kayak to Canada/Alaska and wanted a place to stash the paddles that was not the bed of the truck (to maintain that livable space) so dropped in Rago’s Rear Window Panels. These won’t stay here full-time.

I also added the Goose Gear Drawers (Pictured in bottom of last image).

Rigd Supply Ultraswing and backup camera relocation

Routed a secondary backup camera into the GFC to see around the ultraswing. (Gas tank was for Dalton Highway — which ended up being not necessary at end of day and won’t remain on truck 24/7.)

And a few more campsite photos from around the continent this year as thats what were here for, right?

Next up: Mounting a :satellite: Starlink bracket to the GFC roof and awaiting the arrival of our :open_umbrella: Kinsmen awning. Then this build thread * should * finally be complete. :metal:

12 Likes

Of all the fancy things, I really enjoy my snowpeak knife/cutting board :heart:

1 Like

That bug net/wall is one righteous mod! Looks all-pro, ready to go! I think I should learn to sew…

1 Like

Hot dang…this build is epic. Love everything about it. Great work!

1 Like

Build Update 12/14/22 —Starlink Integration + Trail Tacoma Accessory Panel

Stoked to have figured out a clean solution to mount and integrate our Starlink dish + router into the GFC. Routed the dish cable through the roof of the GFC and mounted the router to my Trail Tacoma x Backwoods Adventure Mods GFC specific accessory panel.

Really pleased with how this came together—and thrilled to not have to deal with untangling the ridiculously long 75ft starlink cable anymore.

ps. @trailtacoma and Backwoods Adventure Mods will be dropping a group buy for these rad panels soon. Get more details here!

10 Likes

That is so clean! Your build is coming out nicely

1 Like

@julian awesome. What is the little circle plug used to pass thru the wire?

Great question! I happened upon 3/4 PVC risers in the sprinkler parts aisle at home depot and thought it would be the perfect part for the pass through. (the proprietary starlink cable is super bulky—it just barely fits)

I used locking nuts on either end to secure it in place and found a removable hose cap to seal when not in use.

Here are some photos of everything!*

*Note: I ended up swapping out the metal locking nuts with plastic ones before installing—as they were flush and weather resistant—I also replaced the bulky white cap with a thiner red one. Finally, the end cap on interior is purely aesthetic to hide the thread.

2 Likes

Honestly great idea and intuitive!!!

Thanks. Nice setup!

1 Like

Nice cable gland idea! :+1: That is such a strange proprietary connector on the Starlink.
How’s your experience been with the Starlink?

1 Like

Thanks @78westy and @Ronmastas! Starlink has been incredible out in the wilderness / LTE dead zones. Has completely transformed how I think about travel / where I can work.

In areas where cell service is readily available we’ll still prioritize tethering from phones (just easier) :metal:

4 Likes

YEAR IN REVIEW 2022

Thank you @GFC for keeping us comfortable on the road—all 25,000km of it.

Here’s to an adventurous 2023 y’all :beers:

17 Likes

What did you use to make this? Looks frickin awesome!

Is it an app? If not you should make one that tracks this kind of stuff :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks @benawheeler! I made this graphic by “hand” in Figma utilizing exported Google Maps KML data. This process requires a ton of manual adjustment and retracing as the raw data rarely lines up with the projection and scale of the base map graphic. I try to get it as close as possible but like to think of these as more of diagrams vs. true to scale maps. :beers:

4 Likes

That is awesome Julian, what a year. Was it your citizenship ceremony? If so, big congratulations to you.
Sam

1 Like

Dear God this is incredible. Well done

3 Likes

Holy crap!!! These things are amazing!!!

1 Like

Absolutely brilliant build. Thanks for documenting everything here. I found a ton of inspiration in this thread!

1 Like

@julian I’m looking at RV Starlink for my very spartan “mobile office”.

How much power does your Starlink draw while you’re using it?