Julian's 2021 TRD Pro Build

Does the side panel close with this installed?

1 Like

@Jcknapp74 Nothing fancy! Just a modern Singer sewing machine. Only place we got tripped up was attempting to use a heavier duty outdooor/uv resistant thread from Sailrite — machine couldn’t deal so reverted to a basic black thread.

@owennoll It was not designed to stay up with the panels closed. It deploys and comes down within a matter of seconds thanks to the magnets! Not something I plan to use every-time I go out… just when the bugs are unbearable.

1 Like

Yea I remember sewing rare earths in my industrial and those things would always shatter on me because they would stick to my walking foot. Lol.

2 Likes

@Jcknapp74 Ah! I could have been more specific! I sewed the sleeves w/o the magnets and only guided the magnet down into place after the fact. (after checking the polarity many times over :joy:)

1 Like

Not to hijack Julian’s thread but what juki are you running? I had a Nakajima.

1 Like

Thanks. Looks really awesome

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about a solution like this since getting my GFC. A tailgate solution would be super cool too, but just the side panels would be a game changer in certain areas. Love the idea of only using it when you need it. I’d buy one. 🙋 Any plans to sell them?

2 Likes

X2… absolutely a market for them

1 Like

@BSRB @OverlandKyle Appreciate the interest! I have no plans to sell these but I’m more than happy to post my measurements, material list, and basic steps for anyone looking to make at home. I’ll do so once I dial in the other side and rear screen :metal:

8 Likes

Hey Julian,

Can you hook me up with the measurements and material list?

I’m a big fan of LiFePO4 for house battery use. Victron makes an excellent compact 200Ah model that is my go-to for most camper builds. Not cheap but for the footprint, about as much power as you can get. Battle Born makes a rock solid 100Ah LiFePO4, but two of those will almost double the footprint of the Victron and will be more expensive.

1 Like

Wow…that is an awesome mod!

Have you considered maybe working out a licensing deal with Overland Softgoods.

I agree with you in regards to using lithium batteries for house battery use. I was able to fit 2 Battle Born Batteries and all the necessary electrical components in the bed of my truck using minimal space…

1 Like

Build Update 05/11/22 — Custom GFC Tailgate Bug Screen

:metal: Dialed in the tailgate screen with my father-in-law today! Stoked!

*We used the same Cordura Fabric and No-See-Um netting from the side screens.

*We opt’d to sew in heavy duty velcro to the screen over magnets since it’ll be handled more frequently. We also had to design for a pretty awkward line from the top of the GFC through the bottom of bed where magnets just wouldn’t work… 3M velcro on the camper/truck was much easier to design for. Just takes a little longer to deploy.

*We sewed in a two way zipper to allow for full open/close ability and quick passing of goods through a smaller opening.

*We added pockets to the inside and outside (for shoes, to keep the bed open, to keep stuff from blowing away on the tailgate, etc.)

*We riveted the pocket corners for added strength.

*The screen can stay up with the tailgate closed which is rad!

That about sums it up! Incredibly stoked on how this one turned out! As promised, I’ll share material list and some basic measurements for the sides and tailgate once I’m settled up in Canada.

44 Likes

Seriously impressive. Someone could make some money on this as an after-market add on.

9 Likes

Way to knock it out of the park!

2 Likes

Yeah, that puts my ‘magic screen’ mod to shame! :joy:

2 Likes

I’ll take one… Shut up and take my money

4 Likes

That is pretty sweet…Looks nice and clean.Impressive.Like the pockets.The zipper is great compared to my magnets…I like it…I woud buy one for my Tundra in a heartbeat.

1 Like