Julian's 2021 TRD Pro Build

That is really nice work…well done!

1 Like

Man this is legit! I need to make something like this for the Texas coast. Beautiful rig.

1 Like

I’m shamelessly copying your cubby power panel almost to the T. One question I do have, where did you mount your temp sensor? Just keep it loose in the cubby or do you have it routed into the bed?

3 Likes

Such an awesome build! I have an LR Offroad and black panel GFC on order and you’ve reassured me it’s a great color combo.

Do you happen to have an instagram page as well?

1 Like

Thanks @Seitter19! It’s mounted to the rear of the cubby door — I tested before committing and it only reads a few degrees warmer in the summer from being trapped in there which I could live with. (I have a CO monitor inside the GFC that displays the temperature, too.)

@PlainsTaco Congrats on the new GFC! Stoked to see it. You can find me on IG here: https://www.instagram.com/julianbialowas/

ps. To anyone watching this thread for measurements and material lists for the bug screens, it’s still on my to-do list once I get some downtime here in Alaska.

6 Likes

Hi Julian! I had a chance to look at your instagram page last night. You are well traveled and your photography is great! You have a really good eye and it’s obvious that you love taking photographs!

Cheers… Scott

2 Likes

I’ve yet to pull the trigger on a GFC but your build really inspires the possibilities! Wondered if you had changed your bed interior set up and design since you did the rear seat delete with the goosegear mod? I’m debating whether to add a single side drawer / bench with fridge in the cab or go with the shelf solution that you used?

2 Likes

This is the best set up I have seen so far, for me. Still have full use of the bed length and not decked drawers. I am 6 foot 6 so not trying to add floor jacking.
Would love to see any lay outs of sizes of the wood you custom cut. May try to design this for my Chevy Silverado.
A+ !

2 Likes

I know it’s been said already but what a great set up! I wish I found this earlier but I’ve had my v2 on my 2017 Off Road for about 6 months and your install ideas are just fantastic.

I have the some of your stuff - like the OGE Redarc system but I also added a midsize Bluetti in the back. I switch between the AGM upfront and the Bluetti in the back to keep my lights on longer.

Nice job on the ARB dual compressor, I always wondered if you need the extra solenoid or not and hacve seen most folks don’t get that.

Next I will run power up to the bed.

Thanks for the details!

1 Like

Julian….are you on Instagram? Also is there anyway you can measure the height in inches of your truck from the ground to the GFC when it is closed?

1 Like

Been thinking about doing a similar solar setup. What made you decide to go down to the exterior between the camper/cab vs. following your LED path down into the bed to the back and then following your existing harness path back to the engine bay. A lot more wire and fishing to go to the back of the bed but would have avoided the visible conduit/wire outside the camper. Following my LED path (which I copied from you, black spray painted cord hider and all) is my initial thought just to hide the wires completely. But your route would definitely make it easier. Wire length and gauge is probably my biggest concern to run it all the way back and then to the front

1 Like

Great stuff all around. You are an extremely talented and humble individual. Great insta pics and amazing GFC build. :call_me_hand:

1 Like

(Responding to recent questions before diving into a big update!)

Thanks so much @WrinkledPants! Really appreciate the kind words.

@Trucker The bed interior has not changed! Having the space to “hang out” when the weather or bugs are terrible has proven more valuable and useful than any sort of bed drawer system. Has also been a great forcing function to question what gear we actually “need” on the road and what we can leave in storage.

@Casablanca I’m also over 6ft tall so agree with you on maintaining as much space as possible. I dumped all the photos I have from the project into an album here. Hope this is helpful!

@senseidad :metal: Hell ya! Thanks! Re: ARB Compressor — I’m not using it for airbags or anything of the sort, just to air up when needed.

@jck1978 Believe I already got back to you on IG DM, just in case I’m @julianbialowas over there.

@Seitter19 You nailed it—I followed this path to save on material cost and to have as short a trip to the REDARC as possible. The black conduit does a great job of hiding the wiring—and it’s still holding up strong after one year on the road. I’d still recommend to follow this path for ease!

Appreciate it @GBSgfc! Means a lot!

1 Like

Build Update 11/16/22 —Highlights from the past few months and minor truck updates

I’m settled back in California for the holidays after an incredible summer and autumn in Alaska and Canada. I’ll drop a few photos from the adventure below before diving into #truckstuff in the next post.

:point_up_2: British Columbia + Alberta

:point_up_2:Stewart-Cassiar Highway

:point_up_2:Skagway, AK

:point_up_2:Dalton Highway enroute to Deadhorse, AK

:point_up_2:Seward, AK where we met @DirtTrailsWanted at a trailhead parking lot :wave:

:point_up_2: Chitina and McCarthy with @DirtTrailsWanted

:point_up_2: Anchor Point and a bunch of ferries.

:point_up_2: Salmon Glacier, BC

17 Likes

Build Update 11/16/22 — Moving onto the #truckstuff updates

Suspension upgrades

Dropped in Deaver Expedition Stage IIs + Kings at the top of this year. Night and day experience driving with the constant weight of the GFC and gear.

MESO Customs puddle lights

Installed MESO Custom’s Puddle Lights. These things are super bright and would recommend the modification. PITA to install cleanly though—set aside a full weekend for this one.

Paddle rack

We brought our ORU Kayak to Canada/Alaska and wanted a place to stash the paddles that was not the bed of the truck (to maintain that livable space) so dropped in Rago’s Rear Window Panels. These won’t stay here full-time.

I also added the Goose Gear Drawers (Pictured in bottom of last image).

Rigd Supply Ultraswing and backup camera relocation

Routed a secondary backup camera into the GFC to see around the ultraswing. (Gas tank was for Dalton Highway — which ended up being not necessary at end of day and won’t remain on truck 24/7.)

And a few more campsite photos from around the continent this year as thats what were here for, right?

Next up: Mounting a :satellite: Starlink bracket to the GFC roof and awaiting the arrival of our :open_umbrella: Kinsmen awning. Then this build thread * should * finally be complete. :metal:

12 Likes

Of all the fancy things, I really enjoy my snowpeak knife/cutting board :heart:

1 Like

That bug net/wall is one righteous mod! Looks all-pro, ready to go! I think I should learn to sew…

1 Like

Hot dang…this build is epic. Love everything about it. Great work!

1 Like

Build Update 12/14/22 —Starlink Integration + Trail Tacoma Accessory Panel

Stoked to have figured out a clean solution to mount and integrate our Starlink dish + router into the GFC. Routed the dish cable through the roof of the GFC and mounted the router to my Trail Tacoma x Backwoods Adventure Mods GFC specific accessory panel.

Really pleased with how this came together—and thrilled to not have to deal with untangling the ridiculously long 75ft starlink cable anymore.

ps. @trailtacoma and Backwoods Adventure Mods will be dropping a group buy for these rad panels soon. Get more details here!

10 Likes

That is so clean! Your build is coming out nicely

1 Like