Julian's 2021 TRD Pro Build

Super clean! Great work as always.

1 Like

This build is hardcore! Very nice!

1 Like

really dig this rig

anybody have bad experiences mounting the fan in this orientation (hinge is on the back end)? my concern is wind blowing it open driving down the road, but if it’s not a problem, i really dig that orientation

1 Like

@Nrampp I know right — the plug on the dometic is just so long — I’m so happy with this setup. It’s perfect.

Thanks so much @jedgar @SlaminEpi29 @gus2 :metal:Gus — The hinge on the Dometic Fantastic Fan is really burley… Have already driven around in severe thunderstorms and it hasn’t gone anywhere (and no water has gotten in). It was crucial to me that it was orientated this way so it would work effectively when the camper was raised.

1 Like

Pretty clean! Really like the ARB plug idea.

1 Like

Build Update 07/12/21 – Custom GFC Cabinet

This was a fun one and my father gets all the credit for the build. We designed and added in a single drawer and cubby on the fridge shelf to remove my two camping bins from the equation (Visible in second picture). All of my camping goods are now elevated off the bed and in the truck and ready to go at all times.

The build out for this cabinet was a precision job to clear the fridge’s control panel, GFC mounting hardwear, GFC lock, GFC crossbar, and my VRNCLR frame bag.

The bottom drawer is the full width and depth of the shelf, as is the upper cubby. (We opt’d for a cubby up top vs. a second drawer for less weight). We also sank the cubby’s lid to create a safe contained surface for things like keys, phones, etc. that can easily be accessed from both the outside and inside of bed when at camp.

We painted the exterior of the cabinet black to blend into it’s surroundings and the drawer faces a flat/vintage USFS-esque green color.

Absolutely thrilled with how this turned out. It’s perfect. Still need to add some final finishing touches:

• Drawer pull hardware
• Perhaps some hooks on exterior side to hold things towels, etc.
• Maybe a bottle opener? Magnetic bar?

19 Likes

Awesome setup! Love how open everything is.

Where did you get the bungee net / overhead storage that holds your bedding?

What thickness wood did you use for the shelf/box? Looks like 3/4" or 1" ? What size fridge is that?

I may have to borrow some of your ideas

Thanks @mtb-sam The netting is VRNCLR’s V2 Bedding Catch!

@fatfurious2 We used 1/2" plywood and the Dometic is a dual compartment CFX3 95DZ.

2 Likes

Great build and detail.

1. Do the self-tapping screws for the Fan-Tastic poke out into the ceiling of the roof? Are they sharp? Did you clip them off? Use the supplied ones? New ones? :slight_smile:

2. Any structural sag in the roof post install?

Looks great! I was wondering since you oriented the frig that way, was it for accessibility purposes when hanging out in the camper? Are you able to reach in the fridge from the outside?

Build Update 07/17/21 – Solar Panel Install

Today’s goal was to mount my Sunflare Xplor 126W Solar Panel and run the wiring to the engine bay in the most inconspicuous way possible.

We started the day by adding some additional 3M VHB Tape alongside the stock adhesive, mounted the panel to the roof and ran a bead of silicone around the panel.

Next step was to add some conduit for the Renogy Wiring, pass the wires through a Renogy Cable Housing Entry and drill into the roof of the GFC to get the wires inside the camper.

From here we passed the wiring through some conduit under the mattress and continued through to another hole (heavily siliconed) to exit the camper and make our way down between the cab and bed of truck (Once again through conduit, spray painted black.)

Once under the truck we followed the same path of the previous harness we ran for the electrical cubby and made our way to my REDARC BCDC1225D. Once again, wrapping our wiring in automative loom and heat resistant tape for the length that passes through the engine bay.

Really stoked on how clean this turned out! Essentially zero wires are visible from the exterior or interior of camper and solar is always on and ready to go :metal:

Other small update — finally added some leather pull hardware to the drawer face.

:eyes: Find this build’s Master Parts List here.

14 Likes

Thanks @bigskydu! No screws poke through the roof, used supplied ones without issue or modification. It’s a very clean install. No structural sag, no…

Thanks @FUJIMOGOAT! Main purpose of orienting the fridge this way was to keep the bed of truck as empty/uncluttered as possible. Left compartment is easily accessible from the outside of camper since elevated, and quick to jump into bed when needed.

:pushpin: Find the Master Parts List here.

Build Update 08/08/21 — Shore Power Install

Dropped in the last piece of the electrical system puzzle today—shore power. The house battery is now set up to receive a charge from the alternator when running, solar when available, and shore power via campsite hookups as redundancy when solar is not available.

I bolted the NOCO Genius GENPRO10X1 atop the fuse box and placed the NOCO AC Port Plug in the front bumper.

Pretty easy install—only gotcha was having to cut away a very small part of one of the interior bumpers to accommodate the AC Port (As seen in the third photo).

Stoked on how clean this one turned out!

:pushpin: Find the Master Parts List here.

5 Likes

great idea on the shore power.

1 Like

Your solar set up is great! Ive been struggling with the idea of visable wires and this is the first build I’ve seen that avoids it. Looks great!

1 Like

@TearingOut55 Thanks so much, Tarin! I was in the same boat and not a fan of the aesthetic or function of having solar harnesses hanging off the side of the camper—which is why I went straight through.

ps. Stoked to see you got your camper! Congrats!

1 Like

Just wanted to say that the build out of your GFC is probably my favorite. Very clean and well thought out. I’ll likely model my interior build out very similar to yours.

I appreciate you sharing your build!

2 Likes

@julian

Julian,

I’ve been eyeing up your build since day 1 and am in love as well. I’ll never have 1/2 the truck you have here but you have inspired many ideas for my rig as well as many things I’ll be copying :stuck_out_tongue:

Well done!

1 Like

Thanks, Tristian! Stoked to hear this thread has been helpful and excited to see what you build! Feel free to DM me with any questions as you get into the thick of it. And hey, all that matters is that that you love it and you get out in it! More than 1/2 the stuff bolted onto this build were “wants” and not “needs” so you’ll be set :metal:

1 Like