Julian's 2021 TRD Pro Build

Thanks @Buhlockaye @GFCTundra! Grommets are all from Home Depot in the hardware aisle — the drawers near the washers if I recall correctly.

1 Like

Quick update from the road!

Our @GFC got us through a solid February down in BC/BCS :mexico:

(:point_up_2: Having some “fun” trying to get out to a beach) :roll_eyes:

(:wave: Hi @DirtTrailsWanted )

Followed by visits to 30 National Park Service units in 30 days in March! :evergreen_tree:

Stoked for what is still to come this year after a quick break back in the bay. :pickup_truck::dash:

14 Likes

@julian

2 questions:

Did the fan help cut down on condensation issues?

Did you ever upgrade the mattress?

2 Likes

Hey @GainzGFC!

1. Fan continues to be one of our favorite and most used modifications in our camper. Has completely alleviated our condensation issues when cold-weather camping.

2. Our mattress remains stock. We’ll throw down our Nemo backpacking pads (especially when staying in one location for many nights) but for quick overnights we’re content as it is!

:handshake:

4 Likes

Are the screens available for purchase yet?! What a great build, thanks for the inspiration!

3 Likes

What size BFG’s you running?

Build Update 11/19/23 — Introducing Power to the Rear of the Cab

It’s been a minute! Checking in with a quick build update:

I dropped in a hardwired Blue Sea Systems Dual USB port along with a Dometic 12V port to the rear of the cab for convenient charging of accessories that used to clutter the front cup holders. While the center console was ripped out, I also took the opportunity to run the wiring for my external antenna.

I routed all the wiring directly to the engine bay, passing through the center console and dash, keeping it completely out of sight. I’m stoked on how “factory” looking everything turned out.

There are a few more modifications I’m working on, including setting up wireless monitoring for my dual battery system, flat mounting my Starlink, and finally mounting a winch. I’ll share a few dedicated updates on these as they progress. Stay tuned! :v:

10 Likes

Looking good!

1 Like

That’s exactly where I ran a Dometic plug and it is super nice to have. Nice work!

1 Like

@julian Both the build and the thread are incredible! Much gratitude for the inspiration. Do you have professional experience or just tinkering over the years? Your installs and mods are super clean and dialed!

Do you run any heatings systems? I’ve been through the whole thread and didn’t see anything but you’ve clearly spent many months fulltiming! The fan will probably be one of my first mods after I determine house power for the bed.

1 Like

Thanks @Wellie! Just tinkering and learning from family, friends, and fellow GFC owners.

No heater—yet… I have a design in my head for how a diesel heater and auxiliary fuel tank could be mounted in place of the factory spare tire, but still just an idea at this point.

@julian how did you attach the Velcro to the camper for the rear bug screens. Assuming this was applied to the sides as well as the top?

1 Like

@julian can i have your truck ?

3 Likes

2023 In review

Here’s to another year on the road in our home on wheels @GFC.

9 Likes

@julian - can you point me towards any reliable resources I can use to research trekking into Baja? Beachside camping, spearfishing, etc. all sound like a solid getaway.

Also, do you speak any Spanish? I imagine a lot of folks know enough English to get by, but I’m interested to see if folks who have done the trip feel it would be necessary to learn some basics before heading down.

Lastly, I keep thinking this would make an amazing GFC group trip.

2 Likes

Hey @dmg5000! The community on iOverlander venture into Baja frequently and are good about documenting their experiences on boondocking sites, developed sites, and military checkpoints. I’d start there! Also follow @DirtTrailsWanted on Instagram! They’ve spent a bunch of time up and down the peninsula.

Re: Spanish. I grew up in Canada, and even after 10+ years living in California, my Spanish still ranks third after my French and English. I found it helpful to invest the time improving my understanding of key vocabulary to help with conversations at gas stations (there are no self service stations in baja), food trucks, and grocery stores. I came across very few people who spoke English (as expected) but all were patient with me and my poor Spanish. Making the effort goes a long way.

Overall I experienced nothing but kindness and easy going vibes down the length of the peninsula . (i.e. passersby would always stop to make sure I was good when they spotted me messing with my tires airing up or down on dusty dirt roads in remote locations)

6 Likes

Thank you, can’t wait to get this planned out!

1 Like

That map is rad. You certainly got around in 2023. What software did you use to create it?

Also, if you’re ever coming through the Reno area again PM me and I’ll share some nice spots to camp.

1 Like

Bringing precision is much appreciated.

1 Like

Baja is at the absolute top of my bucket list. I know enough spanish to get by (judging by trips to Peru and Mexico) but I made it my new years resolution to improve. If you’re serious about a group trip I’d be so in.

2 Likes