Lights in your GFC?

Nokero lights are pretty cool too.

Iā€™m loving the cairn xl from Lander. As recommended by someone else on the forum.

I stuck a magnet mount on the lamp and some metal plates that I glued in a few spots in the camper. Super easy to just move the lantern from spot to spot in the camper or outside.

Is it flashy or super cool? No, but a lot cheaper than many other options

2 Likes

@Camper1088 yeah to be honest i usually use my head lamp and only occasionally use a mpowerd solar lamp, i find they are useful and easy to throw on the windshield to chargeā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m also ok with a headlamp and little magnetic rechargeable, but I clicked through to that website and got an add for 40% off for black friday. If you needed an extra kick.

2 Likes

I just bought a 3 pack of the luminoodle click and have one in camper and one on the back panel. Cheap and work great

3 Likes

Danny, I installed the Matt Gecko kit on my own. Iā€™m not fast, so I dedicated a Saturday to it. I have not noticed any issues with wiring it to my battery, but I think it is a good idea to have some sort of fuse blockā€¦I just went with the inline fuse Matt supplied. No dimmer for meā€“either theyā€™re on or Iā€™m going to sleep. For me, I will work on my home electrical, but I always hire a plumber.

Installed Mattā€™s lighting package as well. Initially I installed as he described, pretty easy, just take your time and donā€™t over think it. We novices are too concerned with blowing up our rig when we add a new floor matt! (I know I do anyway).
I later modified the top install by soldering his two leads together up front and only run a single cable back to a touch dimmer. I went with the touch dimmer b/c I like the blue ring of light for nighttime access.
On the bottom is was a stock install with the exception of the dimmer I installed. I used the rotary dimmer as I wanted something a bit beefier for when I have gloves on hunting.

1 Like

Looks sweet! Iā€™m using mine less in the winter. Might update this in the spring.
Happy New Year!

1 Like

@Hampnterri what did you use to tuck away the wires for the S2 as a chase light?

Used cable ties, commercial cable wrap mesh heat shrink cable wrap, iadhesive zip ties - all available at a commercial electric distributor and probably most hardware stores. There are probably more elegant solutions, but this is working and wearing great so farā€¦

1 Like

Awesome thank you that helps on the adhesive zip tie base, thatā€™s pretty clean actually and good to know.

1 Like

We ended up doing a set of three of these in the truck bed - easy to charge every one in a while with USB, and the remote and a red option is nice.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083LJM55C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then we did one of these with a magnet mounting option in the top of the tent, and it holds well to the frame in the GFC truck bed when the top is closed:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VBHN8M6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We decided that running power for lights didnā€™t balance with our desires to keep the Gladiator and GFC simple, after having a campervan that was home like, this truck was never going to compete, so why try :wink:

2 Likes

Love this. Iā€™m also looking to connect LED strips directly to a fuse block like you did. Most of the LED strips I see online have a AC wall plug or a 12v cigarette lighter adapter. Did you just snip that off and wire it directly to your fuse block? Or but lights that were meant to be direct-wired? And do you have a link?

Hey all,
I am going to order Matt Geckoā€™s LED kit for my Tundra. Seems simple and a product that a lot of people are stoked on. Its not super critical but does anyone have any experience adding a dimmer switch to Mattā€™s light system? Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a youtube video out there explaining it somewhere but figured Iā€™d start with the forum first.

Thanks in advance!

Can you show a more detailed photo(s) on how you ran the wiring for the external Scene Light you have mounted on the extrusion? Thanks, any suggestions on doing a similar external light?

Where did you get that cargo net? Thanks

1 Like

@reesespieces It was just some net I found on Amazon. I have since upgraded to a custom fit VRNCLR Sewn Storage bedding storage since I was unhappy with how much the Amazon net sagged.

I purchased these dimmable, rechargable motion sensing lights on amazon. They are super cheap and work great. I saw them recommended by multiple users on this thread. They come in a 2 pack, I bought 4 and I put one on each panel and have a spare, see pics. They work well for me but they are another thing to charge. I travel with a Jackery 500 thatā€™s constantly charging off the Tacoma bed outlet, so not an issue.

For the upstairs camper I purchased these waterproof, USB powered LED lights that came with 3M tape backing. They fit perfectly in the recessed track inside the camper (shown here). I hooked them up to this USB dimmer, which Iā€™d also highly recommend. I power them with a small USB battery stick.

8 Likes

I recently installed these black diamond remoji lights with the magspots from @jedgar. I really like the lights and so far they have been holding on well to the mag spots. I thought that maybe the magnets wouldnā€™t be strong enough but I have been doing some off-roading and so far they have not fell off.
http://jedf.us/#!/GFC-MagSpots/p/292809060/category=113909263

4 Likes

I definitely wouldnā€™t encourage folks to leave the lights on when driving, but I often left mine on and they stayed put shockingly well.