Lights in your GFC?

Yeah I hear you. I was thinking about putting an extra magnet on the back of the light to make it more secure.

Thanks @nsmitha for some inspiration. I also bought one of these splitter/switches so that I can power multiple strips/fans/etc off of one USB power source.

1 Like

Figured I’d chime here. I now regret my switch board location, but more on that later.

I had a 6"x6"x4" PVC junction box left over from a work project. This actually fit with tons of room to spare in between the inside of the rear fender and bedside.

My thinking was to cut through the internal bed side and through the bottom of the PVC box in order to make a waterproof housing for the backside of my switch panel.

Into the box I drilled a hole for a waterproof cord grip, and then I made a template in order to drill the mounting holes.

After getting the box mounted on the backside of the bed, I cut through both the bedside and bottom of the PVC box. I put some silicone around the seam, but I may have to go to something a bit more heavy duty, we will see with time.

I ran power to the box from my secondary fuse box in the engine bay, and through my waterproof cord grip.

This will get cleaned up in the future, but I was in the middle of wiring up fog and ditch lights at the time.

In order to keep the panel from being always on I added an (off centered might I add) additional “main power cut-off” switch.

So far I only have two Baja Designs dome lights mounted up. One red and one white, with them being mounted on the left and right support bars. I have only zip tied these on as I like being able to rotate them to face outside of the open panels as well as into the bed.

I have plans to run LED strips upstairs, but this has been working out nicely for now. The red dome light is on the “camp” side of the truck and under the awning. Having the scene lighting and not attracting bugs is a huge plus.

As previously stated, I regret the location of the switch panel now as it is super exposed and easy to bump with items in the bed. Rather than move it (I cut holes…) I’m trying to figure out a way to protect it with a small cage or something. The work never ends…

3 Likes

That’s some impressive work; bummer about the switches getting easily bumped by cargo. Maybe a flange just around the edge (sticking out maybe an inch or so) would be enough in lieu of a full cover. Then cargo would bump up against the rim and not hit the switches.

1 Like

@the_philxx Didn’t have an “original” location. The '21 Tacoma doesn’t have the driver’s side cubby unfortunately, and my passenger side one is already in use. AND I wanted the switches to be easy to get to while standing at the tailgate. I do have a 100A main cut off at the fuse box under the hood. It is definitely nice to be able to kill everything on the board with one switch, and I like the peace of mind.

@gwiz Thanks, that’s definitely a thought I have had. The panel isn’t very big so I could see that route working well, and it would provide the least amount of obstruction.

Did GFC at some point offer orange framing for the canopy bars? I am picking mine up in January but didn’t realize the bars may be orange? I’m hoping they are actually

not anymore. that’s a V1. You will get a V2

Thanks for the info :wink:

@Madcap.Supply purchased remaining Truckparts.parts GFC Lighting Kit inventory. Sharing link: GFC Lighting Kit

3 Likes

Looks like Niterider just released something new that might work pretty well.

1 Like

For those that have installed switched lights up in the tent, I’m curious where you all have located your switch. Trying to get some good ideas before installing mine! TIA

I put a dimmer switch upstairs in the front right corner which is also where i have my solar cables coming in from the roof. It’s vhb taped to the roof top, and wires are all sheathed and zip tied nicely.

2 Likes

Added “neon” dimming led strips to my camper and made this walk-around video.

There are many varieties on Amazon but I mainly like them since they’re so diffuse; you can’t really make out the individual led’s due to all light emitting sideways relative to the strip encased in silicone.

I made a point of adding a strip to the bottom of the back door on the camper, so while open it points light at the open tailgate and ground. That strip is also on its own switch since when I’m sitting in couch mode inside the truck bed with the doors all closed up, the light would otherwise point in my eyes.

The tent portion is also lit, on a separate circuit than downstairs, and another reason I like these strips is they’re 6mm thick, so they fit perfectly against the ceiling edges without blocking the extrusions.

14 Likes

Looks great! Those are nice looking lights.

1 Like

Love the simplicity. Can you direct me to the Rago Fab mount you used? I’ve looked over their amazing website and can’t locate that specific mount. TIA

They have a Rigid light version also

1 Like

@2ayne will these work on the V2 camper? The brackets that is. Also, do you have pics of how you ran your rear light wiring? I have an s2 pro Amber I want for a chase light.

Thanks!

Mount on rear extrusion with t nuts. Wire through frame. Done

This is my first time posting here. This is my light setup.

2 Likes

Theses are lights from hard korr lighting

2 Likes