Non Tacos; Who has a New Ford Ranger Build?

Been loving the Ranger / Camper so far!

4 Likes

I may just have to wait for this thing.

3 Likes

Along with everyone else in the Ranger forums! lol It looks super rad interested to see if the bed changes so I can carry my current GFC over to it and US price tag.

3 Likes

I know the wheelbase for the new Ranger is 2” wider and 2” longer than the current model. Not sure about the bed dimensions changing or if the Raptor will be different from the other models.

1 Like

they are big enough now. if only they offered the maverick in 2 door

Just finished the build for my Ranger (for now).

8020 extruded aluminum frames with 1/2" ply fronts. The extruded aluminum frames make them easy enough to remove when I need the full bed.

Left side is a full length drawer with additional storage over the wheel well, and made a frame bag out of an old set of waders that holds bedding and doubles as a back rest for the bench. Each cushion section is a removable panel to access the storage from the top.

Right side has my water storage closest to the cab, a larger drawer over the wheel well with shoe storage underneath. Another smaller drawer closer to the tailgate is a cubby with access to my battery. Closest to the tailgate is a trash can which has access from the countertop, fuse panel is also wired in there.

Wired up all of the lighting as well, there is a second of lights in the tent. They’re on dimmer switches mounted to the counter top.

12 Likes

Looks amazing! Congrats on the hard work!

Appreciate it! I watched your kitchen build come to life, insane details on that man

2 Likes

Have you posted a walk through of this anywhere? Starting the process of building mine out and would love to see more details. Looking good!!

I haven’t yet, going to be taking it out this weekend though and will take a few photos.
But here is the model I was working off of, can at least see the function of most compartments and the subframe

6 Likes

Nice !! Is the drawer on rails?

Sliders aren’t shown in there but I got some of those heavy duty slides that run the full length. They mount up nice to the 8020 though.

How much did that cost? Any special tools used?

For the extruded aluminum frame I sourced it through tnutz.com which was significantly cheaper than ‘official’ 8020. I used the 15 series for the bench and 10 series for the right side cabinet, in hindsight I could have used the 10 series for both since it is so strong. You only need an allen key to assemble that. Cost for the frame was probably about $750 for both sides.

Probably spent $150-200 on the pre-finished 1/2" birch ply. Just used a track saw for all of those cuts.

Cushions were pretty cheap, bought a cheap foam mattress from home depot and some batting. Already had the Cordura / webbing / hardware left over from other projects so total cost was around $75 to upholster all of those and the insulation on the panels.

Then probably spent another $250 on the rest of the hardware (hinges, slides, pulls, etc.).

Total cost…which I was hoping to stay ignorant of lol was probably $1,200.

Tool breakdown:
• Sewing machine
• Allen key set
• Track saw
• Jigsaw
• 4" + 2" hole saws
• Corded and wireless drills
• Orbital sander
• Router

edit* and probably $100 on the LED strips and wiring

1 Like

Anyone here running the Fox 2.0 Stage 1 suspension kit on their ranger? I am considering, but wondering if anyone with a GFC has experience with the kit. Also, wondering if the “Tuned by Ford” version is a gimmick, or if it’s worth the extra $400. Links below.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/rngrstge14wd-19-22-ranger-fox-stage-1-suspension-package.html

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/m-18000-ra-19-22-ranger-fox-ford-performance-2-suspension.html

I am not running the Fox 2.0 (I’m running the Old Man Emu Heavy suspension kit), but had an opinion on the “Tuned by Ford” version as a gimmick. Yes it does what it claims, but is not worth the $ they are asking for. You can a complete Stage 1 custom tune by a professional shop for a couple hundred bucks more. Just my .02

4 Likes

Do you have an idea of total weight you added? Did youbdo an add a leaf to carry the extra weight or completely swap the leafs?
Also, looks great, liking the use of the 80/20 for the framing.

1 Like

I like how Cody hangs some gear along the side. I just found a retired daisy chain while doing some gear cleanout, and this is how I have repurposed it:

3 Likes

Hey! What is that bed box you have on the right? Custom build? I’m looking to do something just like that for a bench/storage

I need to do a separate Build post on this, but here goes. I’ve done a month’s worth of camping in it since mid July, and it’s been great!

It’s a 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCab with Expedition One Bumpers and a Victron/Battleborn energy system I built. I also like the LightLeaf solar panel on top of the Thule wind fairing, which helps a lot with noise and mileage. I’m getting 18.5-20mpg on the highway, driving 68-70mph.

Tons of photos on my website https://hunney.fatcow.com/piwigo/index.php?/category/130

2 Likes