Prepare for take off, Flight Deck has arrived

So they offer things that make their system a more complete system? Since it does not come with that particular track and has to be added on, it is technically by your estimation an incomplete product? So are you arguing that you have to wait? or is it the price? I was in the industry when Decked came out and you would have been in the same exact boat then waiting for things as you are now with a product we are just releasing so I am confused I guess as to the point your argument.

On another note their Core Trax system is just a re-purposed L-track and is no proprietary in any way, just a note.

We have a ton of cool stuff and our systems will not be like anything out there. We would definitely love to just release all of the accessories or all of the platforms at once, but that is unrealistic and beyond anything everyone has done. We built our system to work the way it does now, and everything coming after is an add on or accessory. If your opinion is that you think it is unfinished then that is your right to have that opinion but we did not market this as a stay in bed truck system.

Haha you sir, are also not wrong. But it is nice to build our own stuff, challenges with that aside.

1 Like

Decked is the gold standard for truck bed cargo solutions and GFC just entered into their space. Regardless of whether GFC is trying to compete with them or not, the bottom line is you are competing with them. My bed set up is exactly the same as Wiley’s except it is $500-800 cheaper and I have two drawers underneath with both drawers securing my gear regardless of whether someone breaks into my camper.

You can minimize the Core Traxs as not being “proprietary” all you want, but that does not negate the fact that they work and are a lot cheaper than your “proprietary” system, just a note.

My argument was never about which unit (Decked or GFC) came more complete when it was first released. Just because other companies have did things a certain way, doesn’t mean you should follow in the footsteps of those companies. What is the big deal with waiting a few weeks/months to make everything available to your customers at once? Maybe in your minds you don’t see the Flight Deck as being incomplete. But when something else is on the market for a cheaper price and has more options than your system, it makes your system look and feel incomplete. My first reaction when you all released the Flight Deck the morning of launch was it was incomplete and I know I am not the only person to have such sentiments.

Obviously you all have insight that I don’t have as to what you all will bring to market to go with the Flight Deck. So things could change, but as it stands, I just don’t see your technology being “proprietary” enough for people to pay a premium of $500-800 more for something that doesn’t have drawers. Hopefully your innovation will change my mind. Until then, I stand by my premise that the full Flight Deck is overpriced and incomplete in its current configuration.

We get it… you don’t like the flight deck so don’t buy it. It as simple as that. I’m not buying one because I have my own build, but you don’t see everyone that isn’t planning on buying it complaining about it. If it isn’t as good as another system or didn’t meet your needs then don’t buy it, it as simple as that. Right now you are literally someone that is bitching into the void of the internet.

There’s a line between constructive criticism and uselessness, you ran past that a long time ago.

9 Likes

I’m with @PNW this is not very constructive and I shouldn’t be drawn to the bait of a pointless argument. I think the FD is badass and more innovative than people may think. The track nugget is only the first in channel accessory we offer. So not only will we have tie downs but all manner of things. I also think that the decked system is the best solution for people wanting drawers currently. I think it will change when we offer drawers but that’s just my opinion.

3 Likes

Hopefully you consider his feedback useful. It isn’t worth getting into the back and forth, but he’s hardly alone (you have at least a sample size of 2 :slight_smile:) in thinking that this is quite an expensive accessory - especially compared to the alternatives - even if you happen to think they aren’t comparable.

I think when you look at something like the Kinsman awning, it’s quite the price premium, but the differential between it and the alternatives is pretty substantial (in my opinion). I personally don’t see the flight deck as that uniquely differentiated to command a premium price.

1 Like

I have to agree with this. I know the ship has already sailed, but it would have been great to use a more standard track system that would allow components from other manufacturers to be easily adapted.

As it is, the options are pretty limited; the -10 t-nuts are often too small, and if you want to use the 1/4", you have to find some way of dealing with the protrusion of the t-nut. I mean this in the most constructive way possible - I love my GFC stuff and hope the company goes from strength to strength. But having more ways to work with the rails would be extremely helpful - for example, offering a stud you can drop in.

2 Likes

Use a $10 Rubbermaid bin. I know they aren’t expo as fuck enough for some of you people but they will hold your gear in an organized fashion and keep it dry and clean.

8 Likes

I raised fair points that are warranted. @Mike_GFCUSA walked right into the criticism by stating that this product has nothing to do with Decked and it would be odd for anyone to compare the Flight Deck to Decked even though both systems are similar to one another. So am I suppose to not defend my premise?

Iron sharpers iron. I haven’t seen anyone offer any criticism of this product. So I offered some criticism after musing on it since the product launched. What is the point of having a forum, if we just have a bunch of GFC minions, who all think alike and don’t raise objections to what GFC is doing. Yes, GFC is a great company, who are a testament to the American dream. They have no debt and no outside investors. They have people coming from all parts of America to come pick up their product in Montana—that is not an easy thing to do. But that doesn’t mean they get a pass from criticism. As a business owner, venture capitalist, philosopher, and so forth, I want harsh criticism on my products and companies. I don’t want a bunch of yes men and non-confrontational answers.

Edited because it’s not worth acknowledging angry people.

2 Likes

I like the Flight Deck concept more than Decked. Cost and drawers are not everything. It weighs much less, and no drawers to take up space. I am sure some light weight plastic totes or bins can fit under the FD and still keep the weight still well under the decked system. The deciding factor of weight vs drawers vs price will be different for different users.

I agree that proprietary systems are frustrating.

Just my unsolicited feedback. I will not buy either. The loss of headspace under the gfc is not a compromise I want to make at this time, but I do see a market.

3 Likes

My point was simple: if you are going to charge a premium for a product, then you have to demonstrate that your product is superior and warrants that premium price compared to what it competes with in the market place. My comparison with Decked was simply to demonstrate that one can have the same functionality at a cheaper price point.

There is nothing wrong with charging more for a product. Companies do it all the time. But the product must warrant the price difference. In this case, I don’t think there is much warrant for the price difference. GFC campers are some of the cheapest campers on the market and have excellent build quality. The price difference is thousands of dollars less compared to their competitors, which is a big deal! It seems somewhat out of place on a brand point of view to have a camper that undercuts most of the market, but then to have a bed cargo solution that is above the market. I think we could all agree, GFC would sell a lot more Flight Decks if their price point was cheaper.

You calling me a bitch and now a troll has no relevance to the discussion. It is just ad hominem rhetoric.

1 Like

You do make a good point on losing height space in the camper with a Decked or Flight Deck. The 10 inches or so of height lost makes a big difference if you are trying to crawl in and out of the camper rather than using a ladder on the outside to get in and out. I find it cumbersome. Make sure you get a ladder!

1 Like

Hey guys, we really appreciate constructive criticism, but let’s keep things civilized. :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

The main differences and reasons I could try to justify the price point are materials used, manufacturing process, adaptability and weight. The Decked is a mass produced plastic bin as opposed to a system of machined aluminum components. That potentially accounts for a lot of the difference. Weight is also huge, especially for Tacomas. A Decked setup accounts for 20% of available payload, GFCs Flight Deck is about 6%. That’s a big difference when you’re trying to keep things light or even below GVWR.

3 Likes

@Mike_GFCUSA and I shot a video this morning that will be up tomorrow! Photos too.

1 Like

what is this discount code?

1 Like

Yea, you make good points. But by the time you add bins, dividers, or drawers, the weight difference is not as vast as the numbers you posited. I have a Raptor too, so my payload rating is slightly over 1000 lbs. In other words, weight is always a concern regardless of what you drive.

Another option I wouldn’t mind seeing would be to make the Flight Deck sit slightly higher than its current configuration, where you could run tires horizontally underneath the Flight Deck. This would allow one to have more usable space on top of the Flight Deck rather than running the tires on top of it. This would also solve the issue of not having drawers and dividers underneath the Flight Deck as you simply fill the empty space with tires.

I apologize if I came across as strong. I thought Mike and I were having a good debate as he was pushing on my comments and I on his. I don’t cuss and call people names. Yes, I am directed in my comments, but that is to be clear in my points and not beat around the bush. It wasn’t my motivation to portray GFC in bad light. @Mike_GFCUSA if you are in town for deliveries or to fix hinges, I will gladly take you out to eat (dinner on me) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With regards to your request for a slightly higher Flight Deck, an optional “lift kit” is currently in the works.

2 Likes

@GFC_Taylor, can I order just the track nuggets? I didn’t see them on the website.

1 Like