Show us your truck!

After lockdown kept me from getting my camper (12 hours too late!) literally last camper made before lockdown, finally got to go get it just in time for my son’s 13th birthday and a great camping trip!

7 Likes

That looks great @derekg! I was wondering what kind of suspension set up you have going? I am getting my camper installed later this month, so now trying to navigate what options I should be looking at in order to avoid the sag

Thanks, @Sleo! Just stock suspension with a 2inch block lift. Honestly though my truck feels almost exactly the same with it on. Gas mileage went down at most by 1mpg. Already have driven 1000 miles with it. Kings 2.5 come later this summer though and a new bumper :star_struck:

1 Like

Hi. Waiting for my camper. Hopefully soon. Just a couple of questions regarding your camper since it is a recent build. First, did the GFC come with the 3rd brake light or did you install it? Second, I thought the newest hinges are being constructed rivetless. Your’s look like they are riveted.
Enjoy your new cabana!

Peace.

Hi derekg. Posted some questions about your GFC. Thought I directed the post to you…

Peace.

Hey man, here are some close ups of the struts where they are mounted. As far as the brake light they had it all set up with connectors and nice long wiring to get to the tail light. Took about 10 mins to get it wired up!

Ok. Just to be clear, the GFC comes with the 3rd brake light. That’s what you’re saying? Did you need to order it through GFC?
Again, maybe I’m confused, but I thought the side and rear door hinges were constructed using adhesive and were smooth without rivets. I really don’t know. I thought all the hinge failures were due to weird forces on the hinge caused by the rivets. Anyway, doesn’t really matter, i guess… Just curious. I’m sure GFC knows what they’re doing.
I’m mostly hoping I can get a 3rd brake light…

Peace.

Third brake light was definitely included. I am not completely sure how the hinges were constructed, I am just trying to follow protocol for taking proper care of them. I believe they are continuing to make improvements, hopefully this version will hold well as I see there are slight differences in mine versus other versions I have seen online.

Hey @GFC706, GFC does seem to be moving from the rivet attachment of the panels to adhesive with more recent campers. However, this change has nothing to do with the hinge failures. Those are thought to be caused by how the other side of the hinge was mounted between the tube frame and the extrusion. See this post from Taylor and Wiley that clarifies that: What’s up with hinges breaking.

2 Likes

Great. Happy about the 3rd brake light. I misunderstood the hinge issue. Thank you both for the info.

Peace.

1 Like

Pics taken during and after installation (without leaving your truck–hence the outside the fence picture). The installation team is fast! First pic is in a KOA campground, and the second is in a forest service campsite near a 14er. I’m loving it! Still need to analyze my gas mileage from the trip. Driving 80mph with 40-60mph winds on the way up, then enjoying backroads at slower speeds on the way back, probably had a greater effect than the GFC. Regarding rivets, Matthias told me that some larger GFCs were the first to go rivetless, and my build (#575) still had rivets. IDW when they will all be rivetless.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I noticed that you have a 3rd brake light. I’m quite happy that those are on the campers. I’m fine with rivets. I actually think they look good. I just thought they were part of the hinge solution. Congrats! I’m jealous.

Peace.

First time poster, long time lurker. I’m build #337 by the way. I haven’t seen enough of us full-size GFC folks on the board, so I thought I would share some photos of my beast. I stole a few modification ideas from here and the TACO board and added a few of my own.

22 Likes

Whhaaaattt! Love the side table idea. Brilliantly simple. I may have to copy that.
I like beer and mountains too, btw…

Peace.

2 Likes

5 days in… enjoying the wedge life. Going to add a solar setup before the next trip. Probably a renogy 160W with a redarc bcdc1225.

Not a fan of having the full sleeping area closed off from below. Having circulation and being able to see the dogs will be nice. Gotta look into cutting down or making smaller square cushions.

6 Likes

Dope view! Where is that at?

Nice rig! I see you have the Eco-Diesel. What MPG do you get with the camper? Lol you probably get 10 MPGs more than what most of us get.

This is actually a pretty simple thing to do, if you have any questions or concerns about it just lemme know. Luckily the lady is little so you can cut her side a little haha.

1 Like

Spot I scouted out last year in Utah, got to finally enjoy it. Spent 3 nights there last week.

7 Likes

20-22 MPG depending on how many mountain passes I have to go up and down. Strangely enough, the GFC actually improved my towing MPG. I went from averaging 15 MPG before the GFC to averaging 16 MPG after the GFC was installed. That was a nice bonus!

3 Likes