Softer mattress options?

I no longer use it. I use a @HEST and actually find it compresses easier than the OSGS with the 1in foam.

1 Like

I use the Hest Dually long. Game changer! Does require a little more tucking of the tent on top of it.

2 Likes

Has anyone found memory foam thats a little more firmer? I thought the issue with mine was that the mattress was too firm, when actually im just sinking down and hitting the floor. I’m a side sleeper, so it can get uncomfortable

That’s tough because most memory foam is temperature dependent….so it’s going to vary on conditions. That is what I was running into before using the hest. In 70-80° weather, it was too soft. In 40° weather, it was getting slightly too hard.

1 Like

I went to Joann’s today and they have some firm high density foam there. Their registers were down so I was unable to get any. The 4" one feels like it would be perfect, but not sure if i’d have trouble closing the tent. I want to go back one day since they have so many options and see if I can possible piece together something with the different types that they have

1 Like

I think having 50/50 might be better. 2in higher density, slightly firmer with 2inches slightly softer foam to allow more cushion/easier closing.

The Hest is 4inches and pretty darn plush and the tent isn’t not hard to close, but I also wouldn’t say it’s “easy”.

1 Like

what was the price on the 4" foam?

Edit: never mind looked on the site
https://www.joann.com/airtex-4-high-density-foam/1901644.html?

Yep, that’s it! And if you sign up to their email you can get $10 off a purchase of $25 or more

If you have a nearby store, I recommend going check them out. They have so many styles of foam to choose from. I’m sure we can piece together something that will be perfect.

I might just replace a layer of the concrete GFC foam with something softer and see how that goes.

If only @HEST would hurry up with these custom GFC mattresses

I tried this and I ended up just doubling the pads when i sleep solo (I pull the long pad on top the two square sections). or adding extra blankets as cushion when not solo.

Is this a thing? Are they doing them the size of the floor pieces?

check out this thread and let them know if it’s something you need. it would be a nice option at purchase for us old folks with aches and pains

3 Likes

I thought I read theres no plans anytime soon for the GFC mattresses to be made?

check out that other thread

Does anyone know the ILD of the GFC stock foam?

IIRC 55 and 44. it was in another thread(of a few) here

1 Like

Probably depends on when your camper was built, I think I just have one type of foam.

I just had my camper installed yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised that GFC has updated the mattress and covers. My installer (Basil’s Garage in Vista, CA) said mine was in the first shipment they got with the new mattress. They are now 3" thick instead of 2", and the top portion of the covers are a stretchy soft material that feels really nice against the skin and let you sink into it a bit. I’ve not slept in it yet, but I’ve laid down and I don’t think there’s anything to complain about, even as a side sleeper. And there’s still almost 2” of gap to store a quilt or something up there with the roof closed.

I was figuring I was going to need to get new sheets and foam to make it comfortable enough for me, but I’m glad I didn’t buy any of that yet because I think it’s great as is.

5 Likes