Tent insulation

This Mainer is eager to try it out! Thanks again for your hard work on this.

1 Like

I am very interested in this. Excited to see the final product!

+1 with the_philxx.

Would be great if this were available by mid February when I pick up my v2

As a contingency, I have been talking to some local commercial sewing companies as well as a couple of companies that already make tent insulation solutions around cost and materials once I have my V2. If I end up going this route, I would prefer open source the patterns including information on various materials for best insulation and minimization of condensation, but it will depend on the agreement with the company I go with to do a custom build.

2 Likes

Started buying materials to make my own insulation pack. The wait for a commercially available unit is taking too long. Was gonna go super basic with an XL harbor freight moving blanket and mylar as a POC, but decided to go a little more refined on materials and go the “Buy once, cry once” route. It’s still gonna be a basic solid liner for the tent fabric, but should provide much better performance and ambiance vs the budget option. I’ll add some features later, if I feel I need to.

I’m using Warm Window insulated fabric, a sweet patterned cotton fabric for show, and some 2" bias tape for the edges. Gonna attach the top and bottom with T-nuts and a combination of thread-on and stick-on snaps from Sailrite. Finally, I’ll Scotchgard the patterned fabric for some water resistance. Should be a fun project. I’ll post some progress pics once I receive the materials and start planning.

If you wanna know, this route is already well over $300, but it’ll be exactly what I want. Hopefully. :joy: And I don’t have a sewing machine yet (might have a couple friends with one). Over 1/3 of my cost was just the snaps, toolset and Tnuts. Also worth noting, I use a Propex heater. Hoping this will dramatically reduce the amount of run time when it goes subfreezing.

5 Likes

I was thinking velcro that to the roof just to keep it from raining on my head. no cutting, just hand sewing velcro patches to the blanket and glue the other side to the roof. $30 in junk and stuff maybe hour of work…BOOM what I need. I know red neck style but how many times a year would I use it?

I still would jump on a commercially available liner at affordable price

got a link to fabrics you ordered?

1 Like

Joann’s has a couple sales stacked on this right now. 30% plus 20%.
Warm Window

Got my other fabric from this vendor. I found one that I liked that was 60" wide.
ETSY Vendor

1 Like

thanks! that window stuff might be the ticket

1 Like

No prob! I was almost gonna do my own quilting with multiple different fabrics and stumbled upon a few YT videos about making insulated window curtains. Most of them used the Warm Window stuff, and the “brochure” for it looks promising.

that would be freakin EPIC

1 Like

In theory, yes. But practicality, no. This is my first major sewing project as well, so I knew I was overcomplicating it. Now I’m down to two separate materials and a border tape. I would imagine I could knock it out in a day. :man_shrugging:t2:

that stuff seams like it might be too thin but it’s the right width. see what I did there?

really at this point , if wrinklypants can make a reasonably priced product and comparable to the tepui liner, I’m in

1 Like

I’ve been looking at materials for the last two weeks. Was gonna do that same quilted material until I figured out it was single sided. So you’d need to add at least a second layer of it to reach a decent R-Value. The Warm Window is essentially that fabric, plus mylar AND another layer of fleece. After discounts and a Honey gift card discount, it was under $20/yard with tax and free shipping.

2 Likes

personally it would be a poly on the outside and patch work quilt on the inside. now the wheels are turning… MOM! I need your sewing machine… and cloth scraps… and show me how to use this thing… please just do it for me

2 Likes

We are basically in the same boat. The actual sewing part doesn’t seem terrible…but the sewing machine setup does. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Check out this place if you wanna see some cool and expensive fabrics: Discovery Fabrics

really interested to see how this turns out!

Have any updates for us?

2 Likes

Received my Warm Window material today. Waiting for the pattern fabric and need to see about a sewing machine.

Spent a few nights out over the Christmas weekend in the, 30’s and while I was snug with the Propex, I noticed a massive issue with the GFC is the drafting from under the door flaps. Granted I was in some wicked wind (up to 50+ gusts on the last night), it highlighted the need to be able to seal off those door flaps. I ultimately had to retreat into the downstairs area on the last night. The draft, flapping and shaking was so violent, it pulled all the heat out of the tent and felt like I was about to have a flippac at any moment.

Looking to try out some magnet strips to help seal the bottoms of the flaps. I don’t need it to completely seal, but mostly. If there is even a moderate breeze, you are losing heat there. I don’t want to use Velcro, but if the magnets don’t work out, I may need to.

4 Likes

Just in case you haven’t already seen this…

Peace.

1 Like

It’s funny I was editing a video last night that where I talk about the fact that those doors don’t close all the way. I ended up with snow in the truck the one night when that same thing happened. I’m going to submit a service request just to put the bug in their ear.

3 Likes