Track nut alternative

You guys have the newer aluminum front and rear bars.

They throw off some mounting options, but the upside is they won’t rust over time!

2 Likes

For the new aluminum track one can take a 1" piece of aluminum pipe. Drill and tap a hole for a SS eyebolt to thread into the pipe and insert the pipe with the eyebolt into the aluminum track. It fits perfectly and works great for a pull down to close the top. The screws to the left and right of the eyebolt hold the pipe in place so it does not move or rattle.

4 Likes

Does the new bar take the same turn style tracknuts as the other extrusion?

If you’re asking if the new aluminum track/channel mounts with the same extrusion tracknuts, yes it does.

1 Like

Awesome. Maybe we’ll develop one for the newer version also.
By the way, how’s the GFC treating ya? Did you did ditch the pull behind yet?

1 Like

@2ayne I was wondering how long before someone in a manufacturing friendly state would actually start to produce GFC products. Happy to see something more affordable. If you want to ship some up to Detroit for me to try I’m in need of a few :slight_smile: . I can paypal no issue. I’m working on a similar side project but for platforms since goose gear is a lot of a rip off.

3 Likes

You’ll need to see one of the new aluminum channels, there is no extrusion below the channel to hook a pull down on.

I’m in NC and as you found out in Pisgah National Forest a lot places are still closed. The pictures you posted from your trip to the coast were really good. I’ve got the GFC setup and ready to go but I’m pet sitting a Doberman and Min-Pen for a neighbor who had a major plumbing issue and out of their house for a few weeks. I’m not up to tackling 3 dogs in the GFC.

The Aliner is in the garage. I’ll be listing it for sale soon.

1 Like

The story…
I reached out to Greg about two weeks ago with some of my ideas on developing some stuff that I wanted for myself and my own camper that I couldn’t buy. I keep seeing guys either making their own things, complaining things are out of stock or priced too high for them so we decided to produce enough to go around.
Greg was super onboard with it and jumped right in. He literally had 3D prints made the next day of several items.
Greg has all the tooling, know how, ability to ship things out quickly and knows the logistics behind keeping folks happy and making some quality stuff so I knew he would be a good fit. He’s also been in the Toyota/Off-road world for quite some time now.

I don’t have time with work, a new house and two crazy dogs to take on anymore work with packaging products for you guys.
So, the plan going forward is that Greg will make and sell all the products on his website with a easy online checkout process. He’s a much better fit for this task.
Track nuts will be available in singles at a very affordable price point. You choose the quantity.

I will be receiving some of the products today to test fit. Once I okay them then they’re going to be thrown up on the website hopefully next week.
Track Nuts will be first. With other products to follow. Hope you guys enjoy!

11 Likes

Shoot me some photos when you have time.

What’s involved in removing the GFC tube to slide the threaded aluminum tube in there? I like this idea.

Edit: forgot to @bs2000

10-32 and 1/4-20 twist track nuts are a PASS! :100::heavy_check_mark::soon:
Greg said they should be on the website next week.

8 Likes

Are you able to put a track nut in the bottom side of the aluminum rear bar where your eyebolt and hex head bolts are mounted and turn it to add the bolts for the new pull down strap?

The aluminum channel/tube is round to allow the lock pins to slide and hold the top section of the camper closed. I think the slot is to wide for a track nut to stay put there. I just tried to direct message pictures to you. Did you get them?

1 Like

I used the rear steel tube replacement directions to figure out how to insert the 1" aluminum piece of pipe.

You gotta remove a corner, but in doing so you mess up the alignment. Just be aware if it is aligned that is normal and to get a dead blow or rubber mallet and whack it back in place (side to side). It’s not tough, but I highly recommend not removing the corner more than a few times. The aluminum threads can only take so much and if you strip the threads you’ll be on your own. Personally I won’t be removing mine as I’ve done it twice now and there is already pieces of the threads coming out.

Appreciate the input. I checked him out and he has a well oiled operation. I’m jealous of the tools :sob:

Also he’s right about the pull down strap. You either need an insert in the tube or some small twist in circles that you can thread to to make it work. The old steel tube is the only design that would accept those mounts and they stopped in summer of 19, so the first 200 or so might be able to buy but no one after.

I’m aware in the V2 tube.
Just need to get some good measurements to be able to create the proper nut for the inside.

I’m camper #234 and still have the old tube.

2 Likes

Definitely in for pull down strap. I cringe everytime I tug on the tent to close it. I have #296

2 Likes

TOMORROW!

https://www.gziladesigns.com/collections/go-fast-campers

10 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for getting the ball rolling that! Just ordered up a handful and will be checking to see what else they come out with!

1 Like