V2 Pro tent sags a lot. Not as smooth/tight as pics I've seen of other versions

I pretty sure he has a V2 and just ordered the tent upgrade, which he should be able to cancel.

Brand new tent picked up this weekend. The tent fabric doesn’t bother me but it does have more sag compared to my old V2.

Question for those of you that have picked these up already; is there velcro or something on the top vent to be able to seal it closed? My concern is winter camping with the heater I’d rather not have heat escaping through the top.

There unfortunately is not.

1 Like

Definitely seems like a defect seeing as they say in this article that they spent alot of time to make sure it’s tight and won’t flap in the wind. https://forum.gofastcampers.com/t/how-gfc-redesigned-its-tent-for-the-v2-pro/29066/7

1 Like

C’mon @GFC we know youve got to be reading this, please come out and say something…

I ordered the upgrade kit but I will not be happy paying for a new tent that sags, flaps in the wind and looks like :poop: I want all the other upgrades, but Ill just keep my V2 tent, this doesn’t look like an upgrade and I hope they will just refund me for the tent, or figure out how to start making them correctly.

2 Likes

The presence of GFC on the forum is long gone these days.

Hey guys, thanks for bringing this to our attention, and for holding us accountable. Making stuff that works and lasts, and doing that in America isn’t easy, and your feedback is always an invaluable part of that process.

It looks like this is an issue impacting a small number of Pro tents. We’re actively working right now to identify what went wrong, and ensuring that it’s fixed for all future production.

It’s also worth noting that the Pro tent fabric fits and tensions differently than previous versions. These changes were made to improve its strength, longevity and function. You can read more about that in this article.

The first step here is going to be collecting info from owners who feel they’ve got a problem. We’re putting together a form to collect that info, and will have that, visual examples of good and bad units to help you identify the presence of an issue, and what we’re going to do to resolve the issue tomorrow. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Impacted customers shouldn’t have any issues continuing to use their tents between now and when we provide a fix.

Since we make everything in-house, we’ll be able to roll out new processes immediately. If you have a Pro camper, or new tent fabric on-order, there is no need to worry.

Our goal here is going to be to provide total transparency as we work towards resolving the issue in its entirety.

23 Likes

Thanks for the reply @GFC. Really appreciate you hopping on and commenting!

2 Likes

Skimming the GFC customer build gallery, every Pro tent pictured has loose door panels, which led me to believe this was normal for the latest version. The excessive flapping in a light breeze is less than ideal though.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure I agree with the @GFC post above saying a small number are affected. I don’t think I’ve seen a single one posted that’s as tight as my v2.

1 Like

Well to be fair they have only sold a small number at this point.

2 Likes

Alright guys, we’ve tracked down the issue to a seam process that went a little awry. The good news is this only took place for a very small amount of time (like a single day), and only affected an extremely small number of units. We believe the number is in the single digits.

We will be reaching out to each affected owner individually to learn more about what’s going on, and work with you to create resolution.

It’s really important to note here that the Pro tent is not just a V2 with better ventilation, larger openings, and new zippers. It’s an entirely new tent that’s constructed and tensioned in an entirely different way. Versus previous models, the doors on the Pro tent fabric are no longer held under so much tension. This is necessary to facilitate the wrap around zipper that everyone asked for, and by keeping tension off that new coil zip, we’re helping it last longer while running smoother. These changes also facilitate air exchange, which is massively increased on Pro.

While these changes add up to a better product, they also create a tent fabric that looks a little different. This is especially true of the doors when the zippers are in any stage other than completely closed. That, plus the wrinkly nature of new fabric after it’s been closed inside a freshly built camper for a couple of days are what you’re noticing in the build gallery photos. We do not currently have a process for staging those photos, they’re just snapped during the customer walk around with the zippers in who knows what stage.

The vast majority of the 300+ customers who’ve gotten their Pros already are unaffected, and the process at fault has already been corrected.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention. We try to make the absolute best product possible, and your feedback and communication is always an important part of that.

XOXO — Team GFC

9 Likes

Thank you @GFC for your participation on here and your detailed and up to date responses!

4 Likes

Can anyone confirm if the screen mesh is still noticeably looser than the actual tent doors on the V2 Pro? I always noticed the screen mesh looked excessively loose on the V2’s, and was curious why they were made that way.

I would say that the screen panels lay similarly to the solid panels…maybe a bit more snug.

2 Likes

Here are the photos that I would have loved to have seen before buying this camper. Didn’t receive an email from GFC about this (nor a response to where my missing headliner is that was supposed to ship over a month ago), so assuming I’m in the “normal” camp. Installed on my jaloopy third week of July in MT. Photos after 3 weeks of camping and a week open in the sun during a heatwave.

Bug Net Side door:

Headroom sag:

Whatever weird thing is going on with the side corners that don’t match the geometry of the cut out.

Side door panel

Rear panel

Random silver paint pen marks

Random red marks

4 Likes

sb_tacoma
Any chance if you move the shocks around it would tighten up the fabric? or any way to attach bungee in the corners inside running top to bottom to try to hold the fabric tighter? Both are fixes to a brand new tent that they are claiming are designed to not flap in the wind but looking through the build page they are ones that are going to flap like crazy and a few that look ok, its totally hit or miss

2019 Toyota Tundra Camper - Build #6606

2017 Toyota Tacoma Camper - Build #6451

1 Like

@Akjoe I wish. The “fixed” portion / shell / structure of the tent (everything but the outer door panels and inner bug nets) are taut, so I can’t see how either of those would solve it. The design concept for this tent is good; they just cut the panels the wrong size and didn’t do the greatest job sewing it together. The only solution I’ve come up with is to hem the panels, which I may very well end up doing. Appreciate you sharing those build photos… based on the creative stitchwork on my camper, I’m not surprised to see that there’s variation in what folks are ending up with.

4 Likes

Read this thread over the weekend while sleeping in my October 2021 non-Pro V2.

There’s always been some looseness to how the fabric hangs for both the bug netting and rain flys. This hadn’t reduced anyone’s ability to use their campers. I’ve camped in this one in everything from deep Sub-Zero temps in Glacier National Park to atmospheric river storms with torrential rains and and measured wind speeds of 75 mph during a three month trip to Baja earlier this year. Just this weekend we had 30 mph winds in elk camp. This is after owning a V1 from 2018 to when I upgraded.

Know what’s been a problem through all of that? Nothing.

As explained clearly above, and in the tent design article linked above, the fabric body inside the rigid GFC wedge tensions differently than ground tents that use flexible poles. The pro goes further to move tension off zippers, and it’s doors now zip all the way around rather than hanging from the top. Each body is stitched by hand in Bozeman.

These are intentionally designed products made with the upmost care. Go camping, and I think you’ll begin to understand that.

7 Likes