Weatherizing Update

As a fellow PNW resident (Portland) I’m very interested to see how the weatherization fixes work for you. I’ll be picking up my GFC on Feb 5th and have my fingers crossed that I won’t have any issues.

4 Likes

I’m hoping the same being a Portland resident. We’ve surely seen alot of rain this season. Hoping the new GFC can withstand the rain. Picking mine up in a couple weeks.

1 Like

Such a bummer. I hope they fix whatever issue you had.

I got mine the same day

First post - Thanks for being so responsive to issues that arise with your campers. Gives me that much more confidence in you and your product - and it was already strong to being with. See on on 1/6.

2 Likes

Drilled, gooped, and weather sealed. Thanks GFC!

1 Like

Just wanted to say that I have a second-hand camper and the service department took care of my request to get a weatherizing kit, no charge. Very pleased to see GFC making sure their products receive updates, regardless of who owns it. 12/10 would recommend.

I just sent them an email to support@gfcengineering.com

5 Likes

I really hope they figure this out. I’m in rain country over here so tons of rain.

1 Like

Hey crew!

I’m working with Calder (appreciate all your help, Calder!) on some water leakage issues in my tent (and previously the lowers as well). I’ve done all of the weatherization suggestions (shoe-goo, etc) - and am still having some water enter the inside of my tent.

I have a hunch that water is flowing into the inner tent area (when closed) through the bug screen (as the waterproof door is open on one end).

Does anyone have suggestions on how to solve this? Hoping I can crowdsource a solution - because these Portland rains don’t seem to be ending anytime soon.

1 Like

They stay in all of the time. I noticed that the pads don’t raise the waterproof textile very much (w/ their current depth) along the edges - and wonder if putting a bigger pad in there would help raise my waterproofness? I’d imagine it’d raise the dam, so to speak.

I guess my biggest concern is longevity of materials (and possibility of mold) w/ moisture on the pads and getting trapped inside the tent walls.

I was having leaking in the front panel (possibly fixed via weatherization kit) as well as leaking similar to yours, from day 1, that I’m still trying to solve.

This shouldn’t be that complicated. Is it possible water’s coming in at the top surface of the roof where the plastic roof panel and aluminum meet?

2 Likes

I’m considering taping the whole perimeter (top) seam where the aluminum meets the plastic panel with RV roof tape.

I’ve used that tape before - it is permanent, so maybe I’ll try electrical tape first to see if that solves it…

Edit: hypothesis testing

Edit #2: no apparent leaking after sealing the rear billet joints and replacing the GFC installed rear bulb seal (which was installed too far back to make much contact).

5 Likes

I will be following up with each one of you by the end of the day. Yes, there may be some overlap with your situations, but I would be cautious to posit theories. There is nuance to these situations and based on the pictures recently shared, we are talking about different locations on the tent. We will troubleshoot what is happening and go from there.

9 Likes

Following this since I live in Portland and we are getting a ton of rain this winter.

2 Likes

I’ve been following this since the beginning. I initially had some water coming in this summer from the front tent corners while driving in heavy rain. I reached out to GFC and after talking to them I just put some tent seal tape and seam sealer where I could see the holes. I have since had no water intrusion other than a few drops in heavy rain while parked. I am in western Washington and my truck is outside always as we travel full-time. We have been in WA for the whole season. Mine is a V2 XL, according to the guys at install it was the second V2 put on a Ram. It’s strange that some have leaks but some don’t. I haven’t even bothered trying to get the weatherizing kit because I check the tent every time it stops raining for a day and it’s always dry. Keep in mind I do have moisture in the truck bed, but it seems to be a humidity issue that I have had with regular toppers too.

8 Likes

Is this update only for V2? I definitely get water in between the tent folds and in the tent while parked and closed on my V1.

@JT228 the Weatherization Kit is only applicable to the V2. Please submit a Service Request Form where we can troubleshoot what is going on.

3 Likes

Should the bulb seal be applied to rear/back upper extrusion as well, or should it only go on the side extrusions? Would adding it to the rear interfere with closing?

@Tink it should be applied to the rear extrusion as well. The rear upper extrusion on the tent is flared out, so that you can grab on it when closing the tent. If you do not inset the seal closest to the tent, then the seal will not seal properly when closed.

5 Likes

Thanks i was wondering about that too. I just did most of the steps for weatherization, today I’ll finish up the process by drilling the extrusion holes and sealing the lower level. I’ll probably skip the front panel process, it haven’t had any leaks there….
The stuff provided for the upper is great, i like the look of the seals on the tent when closed, no more tent showing. The lexel closed the gaps on the roof i was wondering about nice and cleanly, especially when using masking tape. Shoe goo filled the gaps on the corners where the keder? Doesn’t meet up. The trick to fill the gap as best as possible then go over again worked fine, but i would suggest masking the back side since youll get goo on the inside rail in a dribble line. It all came out nicely though, waiting for rain or snow in socal to test it again, the last big storm we had was a great one. The gfc was leaking water for 5 days afterwards from the extrusions where snow and ice built up.

1 Like