What’s up with hinges breaking

From the code on the disappearing boxes, I think you’ll be back in black.

And an aluminum solution sounds reliably wonderful.

3 Likes

???

4 Likes

Dear GFC, Please make it a priority to get the new hinge system on all campers regardless if their old hinges have broke yet. The inevitable failures has many of us very uneasy about our valuable items (including firearms) in our truck beds while we’re out & about on our travels, knowing that any minute our hinges may give way and we won’t have our valuables secure. Thanks!

7 Likes

@bikedogtaco Big news that will accommodate your specific circumstances is coming, but if you need to store firearms securely in the bed of your truck, I’d recommend a truck vault or a locking toolbox (that’s what I use). Using a locking bed system and a locking tailgate is the best way to keep your gear secure, especially considering if somebody wanted to get into your camper badly enough they could smash your rear window.

3 Likes

Thanks and looking forward to the big news!
I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE truck drawers and deck systems. One of the biggest allures to the GFC to me was the “cabana mode”: being able to hang out in the “downstairs” of the truck: play cards, wait out a storm, etc. Plus, I like to use my truck for other things besides camping, so I don’t want to limit the bed space anymore than it already is with the camper on. I don’t leave my truck much at all while out camping unless I’m out hiking, biking in the woods, etc. Most theft is crime of convenience, so I’m really just worried about a panel hinge breaking while out on travels and having a side of my truck open, or looking super easy to penetrate because of a ghetto-rigged solution.

1 Like

Hey y’all,

Head over to this post I just made for news on the new hinges. I’ll be posting details, updates, and news over there!

1 Like

check out consolevault–I really like mine.

I’ve also seen some vaults that go under the back seat.

Absolutely agree. Cabaña mode is the best.

Peace.

1 Like

Hinge failures are NOT inevitable. That statement is false and misleading. Most campers do not have issue.

2 Likes

While I hope you’re right, it looks like you’re wrong. Every. Single. Time. I look here or at the GFC FB page I see another camper hinge failure. So, I guess we’ll see just how “inevitable” failures continue to be with the current hinge design…

1 Like

I am not wrong. Inevitable means certain to happen. You have provided no evidence to show certainty of failure. Numerous people complaining and experiencing something does not equal certainty. Just because several people have experienced a certain issue does not mean all people will experience said issue. A majority of early on GFC owners have not had hinge failure and current ones as well. Their stories are not here. They are not on FB. When I was in Montana a few weeks ago I spoke to Grame and Big Mike and asked them about the number of hinge failures. I discussed it with them in great length. Please give GFC a call and ask them are all hinges inevitable to fail?

1 Like

To be fair, eventually everything fails. GFC has indicated that some hinge installations are more likely to fail than others, and that generally speaking, later hinge installations should last longer due to improvements in the process. That said, they’ve obviously decided to rethink their hinges, leading to what we all hope is a trouble-free future - to be revealed shortly.

For what it’s worth, I have an early production model, and the hinges haven’t failed, but I’ve seen signs of small cracks forming at the ends of the hinges. I’ll probably make a trip to Bozeman for replacement, and I’ll enjoy that trip at least as much as the drive to pick up the camper.

6 Likes

True eventually everything fails. However for this discussion we’re talking about a smaller timeline then forever.

1 Like

True. But then there’s this:

"And one more thing: as of today, all of the existing and current polyolefin production hinges will be backed by a lifetime warranty. That way, you know we’ll never leave you hanging, whether you got your camper new or picked it up secondhand.

-Graeme"

The polyolefin hinges may not last forever, but Graeme’s word is as good as I can expect from any company. Whenever one of the old hinges fails, I think we’re in good shape.

5 Likes

Lest anyone thinks I’m swooning over Graeme because he once bought me a Coke, it’s time to point out the thread turned one year old this week. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The fact that many hinges have failed creates anxiety for everyone. The hinges must be fail safe to alleviate this anxiety. We should not have to live with this anxiety short or long term. What if a hinge fails on the highway and the wind catches it and tears it off at high speed. Large manufactures couldn’t handle the liability issues. Not only the potential for damage or injury to vehicles behind you but damage to your own vehicle from the door swinging around denting and scratching your truck.

8 Likes

I’m holding out hope that there will be a repair kit available for customers to change over to Wonder Hinge on their own. I know some people won’t be happy with that, but having options will help flatten the PIT curve.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to be argumentative but not EVERYONE has anxiety over this. At least not myself. I do have concerns just not anxiety. I do however respect your opinion and concerns.

2 Likes

OK, I can live with that. I’m not a lawyer so my language wasn’t precise enough for you. Instead of saying everyone, I should have said “many”. If that isn’t precise enough, maybe a poll should be taken.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

So after working all night, I loaded up my truck to work all morning, and as I closed the rear door …

Well, you all know the rest of the story. I’ll be making the drive to Bozeman sooner than later. Maybe Wiley can put me on some trails for my motorbike.

4 Likes