What’s up with hinges breaking

Here are a few photos of new hinge

10 Likes

thanks looks great, appreciate it

1 Like

Well hot dog! Many less rivets…

1 Like

Glued and riveted - should be way solid!

3 Likes

Build #361 Install- September 2019.
Well maybe all hinges are inevitable to fail and I was wrong. Over a month ago I said I was confident in my hinges and then a week later while closing the driver side panel the hinge cracked. Not complete failure. Maybe it was karma or maybe it was just inevitable. I contacted Taylor at GFC and he sent me out these little brackets that hold the panel on very secure. I was able to schedule a time to drive to Montana which was last week. I was already on my way there when I got a message from Taylor that they were short on hinges at the shop and asked if I could meet up with Mike in Idaho. This actually shortened my drive and I got to explore some mountain biking near Boise which was great.

I hung around while Mike was doing the repair. It’s not that complicated but does take some time. I’m very grateful that GFC is spending the money and time to take care of its existing customers. Mike & Taylor are both great at their job and just all-around good guys. Hopefully GFC keeps them on for a long long time. They definitely add value to this product. Hopefully you never have to have repair or deal with customer service related issues but if you do you’re in good hands.

Here’s a few pics I took

10 Likes

Anyone need some temporary replacement hinges?

I have some leftover hinge material that I didn’t need before getting the new hinges. I bought a roll of this from USPlastic. It’s not exactly the same as the GFC hinge material, but worked on my truck for two months. One is cut to the length of a side panel, one rear panel, and then another piece that is long enough to make one of either. Plus enough rivets to do at least two. You’ll have to drill your own holes.

Cover the cost of shipping and I’ll send it your way.

4 Likes

Looks great, and seeing them vector you into meeting Mike on the road is cool.

I really hope GFC can come up with a self-service package for hinge replacement.

6 Likes

The new hinges look great! Looks like I will have to keep to my word and put an order in for a new one. I’m glad we all applied some pressure because an awesome solution came out of it!

Great job Wiley!

It has texture this durable black on these photos but I picked up mine on Friday the 11th and it’s all faded and uneven. Check out my thread “discolored side rails” I’ll be passing through Bozeman again on Tuesday as I head back home to Seattle. I’ll stop by to see what can be done about this and why it made it through QC too like this :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Mine finally shit the bed. I guess I was running on borrowed time. Only cracked in the front on one side and gorilla tape is holding it together, so it’s not completely non functional. Highly recommend carrying a roll of duct tape for those with living hinges. Camper is 2 years old and build #75 with lots of UV exposure sitting outside everyday. Just waiting for the PIT tour to come east.

6 Likes

I had one go as well. #198. I am also on the eastern route.

1 Like

We stopped GFC HQ yesterday to get the new hinges. The great folks had our camper rebuilt and back on my truck in about four hours.

I’m very impressed with how y’all have evolved this operation. Customer service even a year ago could be totally maddening, but this was lovely!

I’m having trouble imagining any other weak points in the design. I guess I’ll have to come up with another reason to visit next fall?

9 Likes

And to think how much crap you gave me for worrying that old hinges breaking were inevitable, lol… Anyway, glad you got fixed up! I’m worried even more now as it looks like one of mine might be ready to go and I don’t think I’m as close to GFC as you are…

You’re right. I shoulda kept my mouth shut :sweat_smile:
I hope yours lasts!

2 Likes

I just had a hinge break…

#229 and I’m in New Jersey.

Gonna try emailing gfc

1 Like

bummer. at least you know that they will take care of you.

2 Likes

I’m #198 and had one break and I’m in WV so you may be able to get on the East list for repairs. I doubt there are as many of us in this neck of the woods at this point.

1 Like

Got my “band aid kit” today. It will keep the panel secured until the hinge can be replaced.

1 Like

Is anyone else a little peeved at @GFC for fixing this issue. No one is posting about this anymore. What there hell and I supposed to do in the evenings instead of obsessively check this thread?!?!

2 Likes

Not really sure where they are but there was a guy on the facebook group thats from Reno that got his hinges done Saturday. Not sure if he had to drive somewhere other than Reno.