Windows or no windows?

My camera only comes on in reverse.
However I drive a vehicle daily that doesn’t have rear windows or a rear view from the factory.

Side mirrors get me by just fine.
Backup camera is for reversing.

My backup cam in on the dash screen. The only thing my 17 taco does is tell my direction of travel, open garage doors I don’t have and block my view out of the windshield sometimes.

1 Like

Will you still use the truck as a truck? Then front window is pretty awesome.

I find it useful when I have a large load in the bed or something to be able to see it.

I don’t actually need the back window but it’s nice.

If factory cargo light is the light at the top/rear of the cab that you can control via on/off switch or by doors opening, then it helps mildly. Turning it on/off can allow me to see about six inches into the GFC when it is dark. If the dogs are by the window (they usually are) I can see their faces. I’m working on finishing up my “house” electrical system and will be able to remotely turn on/off lights inside the GFC from my phone in the cab.

No windows for me. My current Colorado ZR2 has a topper with no windows, I prefer this so I am not blinded at night by headlights (very sensitive eyes) and so people can’t see in.

Please consider sharing the details when finished. I have never heard of lights being controlled by a phone! I would pay some good money for that ability.

I am using an SPOD Bantam in my house electrical system. The SPOD provides the ability to control 8 circuits. I’ll have things such as running lights, camping lights, internal lights, fridge, etc hooked up to their own circuit. SPOD has an app for my phone that allows me to toggle these on and off along with using physical buttons.

I haven’t updated my build thread in a while, but I will in a week or two once the next phase is complete.

1 Like

I have both windows and I am very glad I went down that route and would highly recommend it.

I do wish that the GFC window by the cab had the ability to open so I can utilize the power back window in my Tacoma for hauling longer items like sprinkler pipes or wood and for my dog who is in the back when out and about…

If anyone has ideas or insight into making that possible… that would be greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

What are people’s thoughts on driving with the rear panel open so that longer items can be hauled? Any concern with the hinges?

I got both windows. I enjoy the visibility. Rear window was tinted for thermal, security, and privacy.

Totally a subjective call based on your wants.

1 Like

I haul lumber that sticks out over the top of my tailgate (tailgate up because I have a swingout bumper) all the time. I just use some paracord or bungee cords to hold the rear panel down so it is parallel to the ground.

Another vote for no windows here. Cost, privacy/security, and aesthetics were the main factors for me. Also the panel against the cab of the truck is a super nice place to store stuff that just lives in the truck. For example, I store all my bedding there which would obviously defeat the purpose of a window. @Borrego_Taco hit the nail on the head…

1 Like

Yeah with the cost of them + the cost to tint/cover for security and then them also not being open-able, its kind of stacking the deck towards no windows for me at this point.

I have both windows and like it. I drive mine as a daily and I have a Rigd swingout so the tire rides lower and doesnt obscure my view. Yes if you have the cargo net installed its hard to see out the rear but whatever. I also like having the rear if I am stuck in the bed due to weather. Doesnt feel so claustrophobic

1 Like

Happy to hear your thoughts here. I don’t have my GFC yet but I went with both windows for the same idea and am also getting a spare swing-out. I totally understand the extra cost for some people may not be worth it. With that said, I wanted the camper to be livable since I am in the PNW and it is very wet and dark. Didn’t want it to feel like a cave when it was crappy out and also wanted the ability to see out of the back through the rear view mirror while driving.

Again- it probably boils down to a personal preference and what you will be using it for.

1 Like

We ordered with no windows. Deliberated back and forth and talked to a friend who has one with no windows and has no regrets. We ultimately figured we would pack and likely block the window near the cab anyway. Didnt like the ability for people to snoop in the back window. No additional risk for leaks, etc as the seals get old (ours sits outside 24/7 in the elements). Also wanted to keep the weight down. We frequently drive gooseneck horse trailers and know that you quickly get used to not using the rear view mirror and its no big deal. So for us no windows is a great choice. Doubt you can go wrong either way honestly!

1 Like

All the reasons not to have windows listed above are certainly valid ones, and of course everyone has their own needs and concerns. But there is one main reason I’m going to have windows installed on my GFC (and why I have them on my LEER cap now). California drivers, especially in urban areas like the Bay Area and LA are very aggressive, and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve avoided being clipped from behind because I was able to see someone far behind me speeding through traffic like a demon and trying to cut in front of me at the last minute before a merge ended. For that reason alone (and a few others) I feel the rear windows are necessary for me, and will ensure me not being blindsided by other, reckless drivers.

1 Like

I just drove home with my new camper. I like the windows: I can see out well enough while driving, it lets in some extra light when camping, and I like the notion that I can see my dog (and vice versa). In terms of security, looks like it’ll be easy enough to cover the window so that somebody can’t see in; if somebody wants to break in, they’re gonna get in, windows or no.

3 Likes

Definitely leaning towards no windows now after reading through the comments. Thanks for the input peeps :slight_smile:

Ha, I was just thinking today how much I missed seeing out my rear window (it is covered in mud/dirt/ice)!!!

I just joined the forum & have been browsing around trying to get more info as to order options. I’ve been wondering about the windows. Anybody have any thoughts on just having a back window to let in light for when you’re hanging out inside on a rainy day or checking to see the coast is clear before you pop the door open? I had an interesting surprise from a bear once.