Lights in your GFC?

is that the compact or regular Rhino Rack Awning that you have mounted??
Thanks

It’s a Batwing - works pretty well, a bit more cumbersome to set up, but needed where we play in the NW…

yes it is a Batwing, but they make 2 different sizes, regular which is what I think yours is and compact, which is a bit shorter on all sides.

I would like to know what you did to upgrade the waterport? They come with some not so wonderful fittings / hose…

Not sure about that - it was the only size I saw when purchased several years ago. Could be…

1 Like

Check out my build thread. I just added some new photos for you.
It’s a little unorganized. I still need to get to a desktop computer to edit that I just remembered. Haha

I’m still using the hose they provided but switched out the Spray nozzle with one that’s equally as junky.

@mattyd this looks perfect! Do you have a write up on how you wired everything up? I have the same setup as you with the decked and the GFC. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Mattyd:
Sorry to be slow getting back to you - Built the mounts out of scrap billet and an old GPS mount, switch panel is a Blue Sea waterproof product from
Amazon but most of the wires were pulled by Haans at Mule Expeditions in Seattle - happy to provide contact info or answer any questions I can…

Down slow I have led strips under my bed rails and a switch next to the factory outlet.

I was going to wire something above, but a battery lantern is no hassle and I always have it camping anyway. Don’t know if I’ll ever wire something upstairs that is more permanent since the simple solution works for me.

Red light is key to keep bugs from flying to the light.

Doesn’t the GFC come with 2 dimmable strips in the tent already?

Wtf? I thought they were trying to make this thing better

Rumors have been going around about them coming out with a new and improved lighting system but no definite details or timeline yet. Sounds like they’re focusing mostly on camper production at this point.

1 Like

Well good I’m glad they still have some work in progress on it. What lights were they running prior?

It’s a very easy thing to install yourself; I think their time is better spent on more challenging additions and updates that you can’t DIY.

4 Likes

I just liked the style lights they were using for early installs. The light was clean looking and had a cover that projected the light upward. Im Interested to know where to get them I’d like to install those @GFC_Mike

Based on just one night with the original lighting - when I rented the GFC to try before buying - I wasn’t overly impressed with the original lighting package.

The installation and wiring were well done - per GFC usual. But the rest of the performance left room for improvement. I think they were smart to move on from it and leave it to DIY or a future improved package. Here were my issues with the original package:

• One of my main reasons for wanting light upstairs is reading. The two light strips overhead do a good job of providing ambient light but don’t do anything for reading.
  • Because the lights were designed to project a lot of light upwards through the roof panel, there was a lot of “light pollution” outside the GFC. It looked cool…but wasn’t great for stealth camping or trying not to cast light on neighboring campers.
  • The USB ports were only on the narrow end of the wedge. So they were difficult to reach for those of us that sleep with heads on the tall end.

I haven’t landed on my ideal solution to lighting upstairs yet but I’ve been glad to have saved the money on the lighting package to spend on various DIY solutions.

2 Likes

Ah okay so They kept the lighting as an additional option then?

The unit I rented was a very early model, so it had the lighting package. I’m not sure when the option went away.

I also got a kit from Matt Gecko and am very happy. I would say I’m very mechanically inclined but only moderately electrically inclined, and I thought the install process was pretty straightforward. The included instructions and wiring diagrams are great. The product is great, high quality parts and everything went together smoothly. If you can strip wires and crimp them back together, you can do it. I wired it into a panel I already had in the bed with separate switches for upstairs and downstairs, it’s excellent.

1 Like

Does he make a kit specifically for the gfc or you got a reg kit from him to us?