New GFC Tent Design

It sounds like they are rolling out new keys AND new lock cores based on the email @JB-04 got. The locks have been a noted issue/gripe for a while, so its good to see GFC is updating them.

2 Likes

Hopefully, we can all upgrade to them. Would be nice to have a design where orientation of the key doesnā€™t matter.

1 Like

After my camper was broken into, I scheduled a service date to have them replace the rear and side panel. In addition to the panels, they ended up replacing the locks on all of the panels from the single-sided key locks to the newer double-sided key locks. So it seems that the locks can definitely be swapped.

3 Likes

Are the new locks any less finicky? Itā€™s one of the things I least like about my GFC.

Curious if the updated locks have the same dimensions otherwise, i.e., a simple drop-in replacement. Anyone know?

I was excited to hear about pockets inside, but these look way too massive to be useful to me. I suppose theyā€™d be great to stash some layers, but Iā€™m solo 100% of the time and just want a spot to put a water bottle without it falling over on the mattress.

Iā€™d rather see tent updates for smaller stash pockets and a way to ventilate at the high spot without having to fully open a door and give up weather protection.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s really all anyone has asked for out of a tent update; venting up high and fully closing doors. That would take the GFC to the next level. IMO

2 Likes

They definitely seem like it to me. The key inserts a lot better. And I really like not having to figure out which way to orient the key every time I pull it out.

2 Likes

After their IG post yesterday, maybe they will finally realize what so many of the people have wanted from a long time ago.

4 Likes

Have you tried graphite in the old locks? That and the lock covers to keep them clean and dry made a huge difference for me (at least in terms of getting the key inserted smoothly and turned).

I sure have. It helped but I still find the locks incredibly fiddly between having to get the key orientation right and the key usually not going in smoothly (even lubed up). I also hate that I usually bump the latch open while trying to insert the key. All in all this is a small thing and itā€™s one of my only complaints with the GFC.

I agree that the locks are near the top of my gripe list for a product that generally exceeds my expectations!

Oh man, I hate this so much. The force it takes to insert the key is almost the same as it takes to press the button. So inserting the key presses the button. Terrible job by SouthCo. A heavier spring in the button would be such a simple fix.

1 Like

@julian added some good photos showing what the new tent pockets look like

1 Like

Iā€™ll be the guinea pig.

$150 shipped from GFC.

Seems much more sturdy, same Southco company. These arenā€™t lock cores, but the whole assembly.

One of my biggest gripe since day one was locking and unlocking the GFC and going, goddamnit wrong way. This was worth the $150 to fix that. Havenā€™t installed it yet, but since I had to do the lock covers, this makes sense to do everything at once.

One surprising and wonderful note - the key entry cover, unlike the old one, does not ā€œslideā€ and get stuck half way open. Instead these new locks flip in and out - something that makes egress and ingress MUCH easier and smoother.

2 Likes

Oh, I am so down for a set of these.

same unless mine will come with these I pick mine up mid may install.

I ordered a set by reaching out to support - you might want to do the same to check on what your camper comes with!

1 Like

Emailed to see what mine will come with.

1 Like

I got a set a few weeks back, used them a few times and camping this weekend! 10x better!!!

2 Likes

Did you just email or call support? The Latch Kit doesnā€™t specify it theyā€™re this upgraded version or the old ones.