Julian's 2021 TRD Pro Build

Wow dude. This is a next level build. Great job! You should join me in my finish carpentry job. :raised_hands:

3 Likes

So stoked we contributed a small element to this masterpiece. Super excited to see this in person soon :grin:

1 Like

Whats those colorful pads that keep showing up in most of the pictures?

NEMO Chipper Reclaimed Closed-Cell Foam Seat

1 Like

One of my all-time favorite pieces of outdoor gear: NEMO Chipper pads! Great knee pads when climbing in-and-out of the truck bed, as seat cushion at picnic tables, safe surface for cameras and laptops on the ground, etc. I own four but only travel with two at time.

Build Update 04/16/24 — Introducing the GFC compatible HEST Dually Platform 50 :bed:

I’m so stoked to share with y’all the launch of HEST’s new “Dually Platform 50”. [Now available for pre-order — heads up that the initial run is limited and orders will ship in June.]

I’ve been beta testing a prototype model with the HEST team for the past two moths and it’s been an absolute game-changer in the camper. I’m here to answer any questions! AMA! :wave:

:triangular_ruler: The Dually Platform 50 is “Transform-a-floor” compatible and closes with ease.

The brand new mattress is made specifically for the GFC and lines up exactly with the transform-a-floor panels. (And yes, the tent closes—videos of me closing the camper can be found here).

:relieved: The HEST comfort you would expect.

The material and build quality is identical to that of the Dually Long I was previously running from October 2023 to February 2024. I feel as rested when waking up in the camper in the morning as I do after a nights sleep on my direct-to-consumer memory foam bed at home. This thing is game-changing for long-term living in the GFC.

:basket: How we store our bedding when traveling

We’ve been using HEST’s Camp Pillow, Sedona Pillow Cases, and one of our down comforters (in a generic duvet) alongside the Platform 50. As I shared above, this sleeping setup is as comfortable as sleeping at home. When in motion the pillows and comforter sit downstairs held in place by our table. When we arrive at camp we toss the three items upstairs. This setup has really simplified bed making and tear down.

Lisse also taught herself how to sew fitted sheets and whipped up two for the larger Platform mattresses. (We ran out of time to make more for the two squares but do have plans to add in the future or :crossed_fingers: that HEST releases their own down the line :heart_eyes:)

Please feel free to drop any questions here and I’ll do my best to answer or tap in @HEST themselves.

A note: I was shipped this prototype to field test and photograph ahead of the release. My thoughts shared here are my own and I have not received any payment or compensation from HEST. I will receive a small affiliate commission via AvantLink if any folks choose to make purchases from the links in this post.

11 Likes

Awesome! Does the roof bow outward at all when the tent is closed? The mattress looks thick!

1 Like

Great Q! I just ran out to the parking lot of the library I’m at to grab these photos for you. To my eye, it may bow a hair—but no more then that of the dually long or old stock mattress + bedding. The weather stripping that GFC had us add retroactively is still creating a tight seal and closing the camper feels the same as closing on the dually long.

4 Likes

Looks normal to me!

3 Likes

Beat me to this question, and I agree I don’t see any gap! Good to go! Ordered my set and now will be watching for my shipping update in june

2 Likes

Hest vs GFC turbo nap… honest opinion…

They both spendy so I was curious…

Hey @Jtc response I dropped on different thread is quoted below:

I have not considered the TurboNap. I chose to stick with HEST given their expertise in the sleep system space, overall track record of good vibes, and my relationship with the folks on their team.

The dually long that I ran from Oct 2023 – Feb 2024 was already a perfect mattress for me—and the dually platform just takes it to next level :metal: :beers: Given all of this I personally never considered the TurboNap.

1 Like

Just got a dually today. Guess the main difference would be the sectional mattresses vs the large one? And slightly longer ?

@OP @HEST

I trust that has been asked and answered so feel free to refer me there….nevertheless…

I will pick up my GFC in July with the latest mattress. It’s already an expensive rig for me, yet sleep is super important.

Please bullet point the top three reasons one would use this mattress rather than GFC’s Turbonap.

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Might be bias but here are our 4 top reasons;

• Foam - HEST memory foam will not freeze in cold temps. It is a double temperature resilient foam; top foam for comfort and the bottom foam for support.

• Removable & washable cover - The cover is easy to remove and machine wash.

• 100 day guarantee - If you do not like it we will refund you.

• Over 250+ reviews on our pads on hest.com. You can read real customer reviews on our pads on hest.com.

6 Likes

I would say that you’ll be more than happy with the new mattress from gfc.

If you were in the boat that most people are in, with the old mattress and looking for solutions, I think the HEST would be the way to go.

Is the HEST going to be worth 750 to upgrade from the new Turbo Nap mattress you’re going to get, no shot.

4 Likes

I agree. While I haven’t slept on the Turbonap, I’d imagine it’s nice. For sure, better than the old standard mattress. If you’re getting the TN included, I would totally roll with that. If down the road you can try the Hest, and you feel it’s better than the TN, then you can upgrade then.

2 Likes

Wow Julian, what a great buildout and documentation you guys did. Much different from the GFC desert trip a couple October’s ago. Will you be attending the Flagstaff Expo? Would love to see it in person if you guys are around.
Sam

1 Like

You should take orders hahah

1 Like

Hi Julian, great build and thanks for sharing all the details. Did you use the metal brackets so that you could take this down easily if needed? Or are you also glue or use pocket screws? . Did you need to screw into the base plate to keep it structurally solid?